Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't launch Xara on my new laptop

Hi all!
    Here's my problem: I bought a new laptop and installed XDP10. The installation went well, but when I wanted to launch Xara I got a message: CamBridge32, CreateInstance (XPE) failed! And the program closed.
    I tried several things: I first installed from the cd, then uninstalled and downloaded the program from the Xara website. Also I clicked 64bits on during installation and tried to open Xara as administrator. But... no luck. Please help?

PS I have Windows10 latest version (1809). Build 17763.593
    Last edited by MarciaB; 09 July 2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Default Re: Can't launch Xara on my new laptop

Hmm we have a bug report on this issue but it's only been reported on once to twice in total, and in both occasions either a restart or re-install fixed the problem.

If its a new laptop, do you have any windows updates that are installed and pending a restart? This might cause problems installing, I would suggest firstly checking windows updates (Start > Settings > Updates) and make sure everything there is installed and restart your PC. Then after rebooting try uninstalling and reinstalling now and see if it will start?

Thanks
    Rob

Ok thanks, I'll do that.
    Marcia
    Frank Zappa

Hi Rob,

Well, I did all the things you said, downloaded every upload available from Windows10, rebooted and then uninstalled and reinstalled Xara. To no revail..
    But this time I got two messages: the old CamBridge32 message and an error message from Xara. It sais - Unable to store information on your local hard disk. The disk may be full, or read-only. -
    My disk isn't full and (I think, because I can't find the information about that) not read-only. What now?

I was thinking... is it possible that when I install Xara on an extern hard disk I can work from there? Or is that a rather stupid idea?
    Last edited by MarciaB; 10 July 2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Marcia
    Frank Zappa

I have a couple ideas to try to see if it will help narrow the problem down.

Run Windows in safe mode and try and run Xara X10 and see if you get the same problem. If the problem does not occur then you have a process that is normally being loaded that is interfering with Xara.

Other idea is to download the trail copy of Xara X16 and install it. Do you get the same error on launch? This will tell you if you have an issue with X10 or something else.

Ray