Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text flow

Default Text flow

Is there any way I can get text to flow from one odd shape to another? Flowing from a text block to another is easy, but I'm filling odd shapes with text and it's a pain to get the text to flow from one to the other. Every time I make a change in the text I have to copy and past text back and forth from one shape to another.

Default Re: Text flow

Not that I can figure out.

charlescoffee, what I have done previously is make a negative of the required shapes repelling each text block and set up the flow between text blocks accordingly.

If one shape is a star then place onto a larger box and Combine Shapes > Intersect All Shapes and discard the star. Set the negative to Repel Text Under.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, I thought of this solution, it seems more than a little awkward but I also think it will work. I was hoping there'd be an easier way. Some of the shapes and text elements are pretty random and they lay on top of other graphics which makes repelling from the negative shape difficult. I'm going to try grouping all the background shapes, moving this to the front and repelling. For now I've been copying and pasting text from another file, cutting text that overflows the shape and pasting it onto the next shape - which means that when I edit the text I often have to copy text onto each next shape in secession. My proof reading sucks so this method means errors are easy, which means going over the document several times to make the text work. Either way is a messy solution though I think slicing out the background may end up being easier. I wonder why Xara hasn't thought of this when they did the text flow from text boxes. Seems like something useful. As always, TalkGraphics members are a BIG help and I appreciate your input tons.

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    Yes, I thought of this solution, it seems more than a little awkward but I also think it will work. I was hoping there'd be an easier way. Some of the shapes and text elements are pretty random and they lay on top of other graphics which makes repelling from the negative shape difficult. I'm going to try grouping all the background shapes, moving this to the front and repelling. For now I've been copying and pasting text from another file, cutting text that overflows the shape and pasting it onto the next shape - which means that when I edit the text I often have to copy text onto each next shape in secession. My proof reading sucks so this method means errors are easy, which means going over the document several times to make the text work. Either way is a messy solution though I think slicing out the background may end up being easier. I wonder why Xara hasn't thought of this when they did the text flow from text boxes. Seems like something useful. As always, TalkGraphics members are a BIG help and I appreciate your input tons.
    You might be able to simplify the approach by putting the text and repelling objects on their own layer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat