Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default uploading a file that doesnt exist

We replace pdf files all the time with the latest months version to the same link

Board Agenda for example the link will be Jan2019 then Feb2019 and so on.

Well for some reason when I replace the June pdf with the july pdf it keeps trying to uplaod the June document that doesnt exist and then fails to upload any other changes made. i have removed the link, removed the file, and i have remade the file i have tried to manually delete and upload and the upload always tries to upload the old version. how do i get this file to no want to upload. i have even rebooted my machine to see if that would clear it. any ideas?

Default Re: uploading a file that doesnt exist

Hi Ooptea, what's Board Agenda and how are you using it in Xara?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

When you say it fails to upload any changes, do you mean you receive an error, or do the changes don't appear on the live site?

If it's the latter, it may be that you need to simply clear the cache on the browser, ctrl+F5. If you're using Chrome you may have to go to Settings > Privacy and manually clear the cache.
    Chrome had a phase where it refused to let go of the cache, but seems to have been fixed lately.

Try viewing with a different browser. If all good, it is a Chris suggests.

Export locally and check if it all works. Xara's built-in web server creates a random path to avoid caching problems.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Ooptea, what's Board Agenda and how are you using it in Xara?
    Board Agenda is just a pdf of the monthly board meeting

[QUOTE=Chris M;611621]When you say it fails to upload any changes, do you mean you receive an error, or do the changes don't appear on the live site?

it never finishes the upload. it will upload the pdf to 48% then start at 0 again and go to 48% about 3 or 4 times then i get GENERAL FTP ERROR and it stops. the changes that it is skipping are on other pages an added link or added text. it always tries to upload the pdf file first and fails so nothing else uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Try viewing with a different browser. If all good, it is a Chris suggests.

Export locally and check if it all works. Xara's built-in web server creates a random path to avoid caching problems.

Acorn
    i can export locally and that does work. i can even upload that file manually on the ftp and it will show the changes. but, the upload function has worked up until this one pdf i would rather not have to make this a 2 step process if possible. is there a upload que cache that i can clear in xara?

I cannot see why it is not working for you.

Can I describe my approach?
    I would have a Text link or button set to "Current Board Agenda".
    In its Web Properties > Link > Link to file (PDF< AVI< etc), I would Browse to the local folder of the latest agenda and select that.
    Finalise by clicking the Apply/OK button.
    Publish.

How are you approaching this?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I cannot see why it is not working for you.

Can I describe my approach?
    I would have a Text link or button set to "Current Board Agenda".
    In its Web Properties > Link > Link to file (PDF< AVI< etc), I would Browse to the local folder of the latest agenda and select that.
    Finalise by clicking the Apply/OK button.
    Publish.

How are you approaching this?

Acorn
    exact same way. i even removed the text and link from the page. but when i upload within xara it will try and upload the pdf that doesnt exist. even after i removed the link and text from the page. it acts like it has the pdf in a upload que and when it fails rather than moving on it tries to upload the same file again until it fails 4 times then times out. nothing i do stops it from trying to upload the pdf

The way I do PDF files is to manually upload them to my site to their own subfolder called PDF with FileZilla. In Xara I just point to the PDF location on my site with a link. Xara never tries to upload the PDF file just the normal site files.

I have never tried to have Xara upload PDF files and I don't know how to do it. But my site has a lot of various PDf files and with the amount I have on my site it would be a huge overload to have Xara try and do it. This is the reason I went with manual uploading the files and it works great.

Ray