Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Changes too complex to process

I haven't found this elsewhere on this forum.

On a genuinely simple web site, when I try to change certain pages I get an error message "The requested change in page layout is too complex to process. Please simplify the page and try again".

Unfortunately when I click "OK" Webdesigner Pro goes into a "loop" - I can edit nothing; the error keeps recurring and I have to close the application using the Task Manager, losing any changes I may have made before the error.

Has anyone else encountered this? Solutions/workarounds would be very welcome!
    IP

Default Re: Changes too comples to process

I am not sure why this is happening. The site looks fine.

The one thing to always try first is close Web Designer. Then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator. This often cures a multitude of odd issues.
    IP

Thanks. In the bottom left the caption reads "1 text cursor (265 characters, 37 words) on layer MouseOff". This flashes just before the error message is displayed. Not sure whether that helps ...

I have managed to workaround the problem by stopping sharing the relevant text column with variants, copying the content, deleting it on both the main and the mobile versions, and then pasting it again in the main version. I was then able to make my edits, and re-share with all variants.

I'm sure this shouldn't be necessary in a simple site like this.
    Last edited by The Brambler; 29 June 2019 at 04:25 PM.
    IP

Currently, only two pages are properly rendering. The CCS is missing elsewhere.
    How are you publishing?
    Don't worry, I must have caught you in a Publish - all square now.

When you get an unresponsive application, there is usually a pop-up underneath. Don't run the application full size so you can move it away to check.

Your site is not "genuinely simple" as you have a Variant, a Xara NavBar, Hislide and Google Fonts so there is a lot going on.

Can't really help until you have stopped your changes, but I think from what I have seen, you are back in business.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Thanks Acorn. I do also have a much more complex site which has never given this trouble. I have finished editing it for the moment.
    It’s not the first time I have encountered the problem with this site; yesterday I had the same issue with the “Agendas and Minutes” page.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by The Brambler View Post
    Thanks Acorn. I do also have a much more complex site which has never given this trouble. I have finished editing it for the moment.
    It’s not the first time I have encountered the problem with this site; yesterday I had the same issue with the “Agendas and Minutes” page.
    I know the frustration but without access to the design file it is a guessing game for us. It is possible that use of Auto-fit to Page is throwing your design, especially if it is "shared" across a Variant.

What I do in such instances is copy the design file. and in the copy delete half of the objects in the offending page. By halving and restoring, I get down to the offending object, which I then rework, replace or remove.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP