Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Arrow When is a Line not a Line?

Dear Xara...

I am raising this Thread for a sensible debate with anyone but hopefully Xara.
    I find the raising of issues in this forum are mostly ignored, which is a great shame.

I generally avoid using the Smart Shapes you offer as they break the original Xara logic of simple Snap to Shape placement and construction.

We have a Line that is bendy and to which you can add Arrowheads. You have to search for it as it is not listed under Lines & Arrows; it is under Shapes.
    This capability existed already within the Shape tool and a line Drag.
    To alter either requires two different approaches.

To the mix you then introduced Smart Lines (e.g., SL 1) where the arrowheads are integral to the Line but are not identical to the built-in Line Gallery. Smart Line 1 is not bendy.
    So we additionally get bendy Smart Line 7.

When I bend traditional and Smart Lines the end point location varies on the type and the Arrowhead.
    You have make things over-complex and sufficiently different over simple things like control points that there is no coherence; I could not explain all the nuances easily to a newbie.

All I personally wanted was a Line where I could have a different Arrowhead colour and ultimately make the endpoints sticky.

Lines.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: When is a Line not a Line?

You have make things over-complex and sufficiently different over simple things like control points that there is no coherence; I could not explain all the nuances easily to a newbie.
    To hell with newbies, I totally fail to follow any logic in Xara's approach after years of use!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dear Xara...

I am raising this Thread for a sensible debate with anyone but hopefully Xara.
    I find the raising of issues in this forum are mostly ignored, which is a great shame.

I was under the impression that Rob-Xar has been quite responsive (at least in terms of what we're used to with Xara).

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I was under the impression that Rob-Xar has been quite responsive (at least in terms of what we're used to with Xara).
    Boy, I have over 50 Dear Xara Threads with no response from Xara. I have a similar number through another communication path with Xara with no reply. If there was an acknowledgement or acceptance to these then I could accept your position. Xara marches to a different beat. Even where things are rectified, it is left to the user to discover the remedy (c.f., Smart Transform is implemented but no backward bug fix as Xara's versioning mechanism is so unwieldy).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I totally understand your position, Acorn, and that's why I -- and many others here -- don't even try to communicate with the company anymore. However, Rob-Xar's stated company commitment a few months back to keep development of the desktop apps going and his frequent replies to your constant flow of suggestions and bug alerts gave me some new hope that the product line was not written off. I thought that you were somewhat encouraged by Rob-Xar's presence on this forum as well. But, yes, even with his involvement, the company's failure to promptly acknowledge and address issues or to appreciate and honor user involvement is quite appalling. So, hat off to you for all your work but I would fully understand it if you've had enough of Xara's MO as well.