Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara Xtreme .xar file (worksheet) cannot open - unknown error. Any suggestions?

Hello everybody,

I am using Xara Xtreme (5 Silver) for many years now and never had any issue like this before. The past days I am working on a design worksheet everyday, yet today I cannot open the .xar anymore (other files open normally) Really no clue what this can be, anyone here who has an idea what this can be?

Is there some sort of way to debug this file?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Xara Xtreme .xar file (worksheet) cannot open - unknown error. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TG, Mcfee.

You might want to attach your file here, to see if others can open it?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Xara Xtreme .xar file (worksheet) cannot open - unknown error. Any suggestions?

Thanks! I have been on this forum many years ago a severel times but lost the inlog.

OK I'll try to attach the troubled file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naamloos.png 
Views:	529 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	104658
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's not recoverable with the expandxar utility. You might see if there is a backup of the file. I don't have version 5, under Windows 7 or 8 anyway, the backups for my system are at:

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Bac kups

If you use File Explorer, you can type %appdata% in the address bar and you will do to the Roaming folder. Click on AppData and move up, then navigate to the Local folder, then to the Xara, etc., folder.

You could try contacting Xara and see if they can recover it if you do not find a backup.

Important work should be saved with incremental file names, have a robust back up procedure in place, etc.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It's not recoverable with the expandxar utility. You might see if there is a backup of the file. I don't have version 5, under Windows 7 or 8 anyway, the backups for my system are at:

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Bac kups

If you use File Explorer, you can type %appdata% in the address bar and you will do to the Roaming folder. Click on AppData and move up, then navigate to the Local folder, then to the Xara, etc., folder.

You could try contacting Xara and see if they can recover it if you do not find a backup.

Important work should be saved with incremental file names, have a robust back up procedure in place, etc.

Mike
    Hello, thanks for the information. It appears that I don't have any back-up files.

Do you know what is the best way to contact Xara with this issue?

Update: I copied the file and the copied version is saying 'unknown PNG error'

That is the error I get (Unknown PNG error).

Go to the Xara web site and file a support ticket, attach the file, perhaps point to this thread. Because the version is fairly old, I don't know if they will look into it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    That is the error I get (Unknown PNG error).

Go to the Xara web site and file a support ticket, attach the file, perhaps point to this thread. Because the version is fairly old, I don't know if they will look into it.

Mike
    Got there yes I had an account there.

Using the free old version because the validation code of the purchased CD did not work anymore on my new computer and they refused to give me a new one.

Thanks for your support I appreciate it.

I got both 5 & 6 on older computers and all gave that .png error message. So can't help either!
    Design is thinking made visual.

it starts to load [there is a bitmap placed in the gallery] and then it stops - file is corrupted in some way I would say - I would think that is a problem only xara can help with
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it starts to load [there is a bitmap placed in the gallery] and then it stops - file is corrupted in some way I would say - I would think that is a problem only xara can help with
    I tried opening it with X4. No joy. ej