Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot drag/change display order of shape in Page & Layer Gallery

I'm trying to drag a shape beneath another one just below it as shown as seen in the screen shot. The mouse has a "no can do" icon. I can't drag this shape anywhere within the hierarchy or even to a new page/layer.

What is preventing it from being dragged?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cannot drag shape.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	124397

Default Re: Cannot drag/change display order of shape in Page & Layer Gallery

Ah hah; got it. So the shape was nested in a bunch of groups, one being a Live Group. I selected one of the group's, right clicked and chose "Open group" and was taken to an isolated tab with just those group elements where I was able to then drag the shape where I wanted it and then ctrl+s to save and all the live copies updated.

Anyone know why I can't just drag a shape directly, but must open a group? It's not a good workflow for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by strandedpirate View Post
    Ah hah; got it. So the shape was nested in a bunch of groups, one being a Live Group. I selected one of the group's, right clicked and chose "Open group" and was taken to an isolated tab with just those group elements where I was able to then drag the shape where I wanted it and then ctrl+s to save and all the live copies updated.
    Anyone know why I can't just drag a shape directly, but must open a group? It's not a good workflow for speed.
    Welcome to TalkGraphics and for answering your own question. Simply put, you cannot add an item into a Group that is collapsed; just expand it first.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

...because it needs know where in the receiving group's stack order the moved object should be placed - it is not like adding a file to a folder - so expanding the group in the gallery allows you to do this...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...