Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Instant e-mail

Default Re: Instant e-mail

Have you been listening carefully ???

We already have all the e-mail addresses but we don't want to harrass 500+ members when only a small percentage will be sufficiently motivated to join in the crowd-funding campaign.

For the few that do we want to make it as painless as possible, that is by placing a pre-composed mail in their e-mail client. They then have to simply select potential donors from their contact list and press 'send'!

I will have to make a decision soon as the president is getting a little impatient.

Acorn hinted that there may be a javascript solution but I am afraid that is far beyond my humble knowledge.

If nothing imaginative and practical pops up I will have to go for the two step mailto process.

But at least for a couple of days I am still open and hoping for suggestions.

zap

Quote Originally Posted by zapatak View Post
    Have you been listening carefully ???
    I could say the same, LOL.

We already have all the e-mail addresses but we don't want to harrass 500+ members when only a small percentage will be sufficiently motivated to join in the crowd-funding campaign.
    Well, they've volunteered their emails so I don't see why you would be harassing them.

Your existing plan hopes website visitors will press a button to get details. You could do exactly the same via email.

Acorn hinted that there may be a javascript solution but I am afraid that is far beyond my humble knowledge.
    Acorn provided info about sending emails through javascript. He didn't solve the basic problem that will stop you having a one-press solution.

If your visitors are tech savvy enough to forward a pre-written email to multiple other recipients, then they're savvy enough to fill their email into a one line form.

You may be overthinking the task, and/or underestimating your members. A mass mail out seems the obvious route. I doubt anyone would see it as harassment as it sounds like you don't email your members on a regular basis.

Sorry you are confusing me. Do you have any experience with large groups of elderly people ?

They have given their e-mail addresses so that they can be informed of coming events, Concerts, Conferences, Visits etc, believe me they wouldn't appreciate a mail which had no relevance to the majority of them, it would cause confusion and distrust thus undermining confidence in the association.

The subtlety which you appear unable to grasp is that only interested members will press the button, a mass mailing hits them all.

Obviously you have no answer and neither do I but there may be someone who does !

If nobody waves a magic wand before the weekend I have informed the president that we will go for a double click mailto solution.

Time for a splash !

zap

Quote Originally Posted by zapatak View Post
    The subtlety which you appear unable to grasp is that only interested members will press the button, a mass mailing hits them all.
    I don't need the patronising tone.

So your strategy (which cannot work) is to capture members that visit a web page and hit a button to express interest. The problem with this strategy is that it can only capture people who will visit the website, these will be a subset of those who might wish to support your venture, so of the eligible respondents in your community, you've eliminated a large proportion already.

Obviously you have no answer and neither do I but there may be someone who does !
    There isn't, but you've been presented with alternatives.

Enjoy your swim.

Sorry, no wish to patronise intended but I feel that you do have a tendancy to make assumptions which are simply not valid.

The website has no grand ambitions its principal objective is to bring together the people who have had some connection with the local church organ. That means, attending the church, getting married, christening, funeral, concert etc with 500 members from the immediate vicinity I think that they are doing very well.

The president has also decided to launch a simultaneous crowd funding campaign on a governement sponsored national crowd funding site, 'ALLO ASSO' hopefully this will bring in the majority of cash needed, they contact cultural commitees in both regions and departments, relevant industries, Banks etc. To be accepted on this governement scheme however you have to prove that you are trying to help yourself ! hence our campaign.

It is looking obvious that there probably is no 'One click solution' but I have always been an optimist, who knows a solution may still be found ! If not, as I said, I will do a two click workaround. The association members will feel that they have done their bit!

We did a similalar operation to restore three 16nth century paintings, the actual contribution from the (a different) association was virtually negligible but everybody was satisfied and pleased with themselves !

The pool is 29° the air 35°, time for a break

zap

Info Re: Instant e-mail

Having an email bounce a reply back is far too convoluted.

If you can stick with mailto: then add the following style of link into Web Properties > Link:
    mailto: ?bcc=zapatak@somedomain.fr&subject=Crowd%20Fun d%20Our%20Organ&body=i%20think%20you%20could%2 0consider%20crowd%20funding%20this%20church%20orga n%20restoration.%20Details%20are%20in%20https%3A%2 F%2Forganfund.fr.%0A%0ABest%20wishes%2C
    Note the punter add their friends' emails into the To field; the administrator is already included as a Bcc addressee.

I composed this with https://www.rapidtables.com/web/html/mailto.html and cut out the bit in the double quotes.
    I needed to add a blank space in the To field.

Personally, I would just ask your members to link to a page on the church site; just put the full URL in text and let them do the rest.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Dear Acorn,

Thanks for waving your magic wand ! We almost have a solution. I have tried on two different PCs and effectively it chooses the default email client of the machine which it is running on, thus the user can add his hopefuly generous contacts and mail them all with a pre-composed message with a simple click ! Thanks a million.

One small the point, your suggested text for the body simply did not appear ! I know that it is possible to add body text because in my own limited experimentation I have managed to do it.

If you can give me a clue it will be most welcome but you have already lifted a weight from my shoulders!

Time for a splash

zap

zap, I suggest you experiment with the email generator and cut out the text in quotes and add to the link all in a separate Xara design page and upload that so it can be assessed.

You might have added a space or a return or your text could be too long.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat