Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Well done Xara!

Default Well done Xara!

Yes, well done Xara for getting to grips with the dark art of ligatures and contextual alternates in a way that is fairly straightforward to use.
    I bought the heavy weight of Aldogizio €23,99 from (https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/tegetype/Aldogizio/) It's not cheap, so I'm buying the individual weights as my allowance dictates.

To my surprise, upon loading up Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 16.0 I found that the Fi and Fj ligatures worked as they should. Up to this point, I have been using Corel or llustrator when requiring open type features, because using the Xara method was like pulling teeth! So kudos to RobXar and his chums who have now brought me back to my favourite design application.

The Fi and Fj ligatures are gorgeous and I wanted to put them to good use. Fortunately my geography lessons from school were not wasted and I was able to cobble together the following designs for my imaginary travel brochure. When I first bought Aldogizio, I figured that it was very decent text font, but I thought I'd get the best bang for my bucks and opted for the heaviest weight. It turns out that the Aldogizio Heavy is a fine display font.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	124383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	124384  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Well done Xara!

There is also a style set drop down that shows available styles for OpenType fonts that have style set alternates and the selected characters change to reflect each style set.

That said, a menu with all the available characters would be useful too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	style stes.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	124390