Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The Galloping Ghost

The Galloping Ghost was the fastest and most modified P51 in the world. During the 2011 Reno air races the plane reached 530 mph during the race. The P51 was modified beyond safe for speed. Losing a trim tab the plane pitched up violently putting the pilot under 17 G's of force. After a vertical climb the plane rolled over and hit the ground vertically at over 400 mph, killing 10 spectators and the pilot, Jimmy Leeward. The accident brought about new safety rules for the aircraft at Reno.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P51.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	124382  

Default Re: The Galloping Ghost

Named appropriately it would seem.

Interesting story and graphic. Did you work in aviation Gray?
    TJB

Gary, it was a terrible thing to happen at the races. The aircraft had structural problems.
    Spondoolix, no I don't. I have a brother who's spent his life in the industry. I just like mechanical things that make a lot of noise and go fast, preferable by controlled explosions.

As always, love the drawing
    I thought P51's had an 'underbelly', your's doesn't appear to have one Gray?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, this plane had it's radiator removed (underbelly) to give it less drag. It used some kind of a boil off system if I remember. Photo's of it in it's last race show structural problems. You could see oil canning in the fuselage and the canopy wasn't fitting right. It's wings wee shortened by I believe 14 feet as was the tail. It was the most highly modified Mustang in the world and the fastest. But they had some problems that all came together in that last race. These planes at this speed and altitude are completely unforgiving.

Thanks for the clarification
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As usual I love the art and the story Gray. "completely unforgiving" huh, well it must have been a whale of a pilot to even fly it. Too bad the plane and the pilot met such a tragic end.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You accept this kind of an ending when you do this sort of thing, but it was truly tragic that several spectators also lost their lives.