Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to view .Xar Thumbnail in windows

I am presuming you have a shortcut on your desktop here:

RIGHT click the shortcut and copy the 'Target' path (see image)
    Paste the result into Command Prompt
    Add regsvr32 in FRONT of the line you just pasted (don't forget the space between regsvr32 and your line)
    Replace everything AFTER the last / with XarThumb.dll" (it should look something like "......Xara Designer Pro/4/XarThumb.dll"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Path.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	124380

in file explorer [windows explorer] search for xarathumb.dll [may take a while]

then with your mouse hover over the entry and make a note of the path - add \XarThumb32.dll to the end of this [don't forget the \

make sure it is the program path you highlight and not common files

as far as I recall that should work in windows 7 but its quite a while since used that OS [let alone xtreme 4 ]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-22 06_34_55-Window.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	124379

as you can see I have lots of entries, but presumably you will only have the one program [plus any common files]

again the path I have highlighted is an example as I don't have ver 4 on any of our computers
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

chris beat me to it - I think he left out that you right click the shortcut and click properties before you can select target path - in the case of xara that should work fine
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    chris beat me to it - I think he left out that you right click the shortcut and click properties before you can select target path - in the case of xara that should work fine
    I also said / instead of \
    I'm making more and more little mistakes as I grow older. I think I'll start drinking so I have an excuse.

In this specific case does \ or / make a difference, can't remember, but need it and best to stick to convention... and cut and paste puts in the quote marks for you

FWIW in a wider context not all s/c target entries are copy/paste usable this way...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by byronfriday View Post
    Ive been using Xara Xtreme V4 for years. It works great.

For years - In my Xara graphics file folders on my Windows 7 OS - all of my .Xar files would render a thumbnail of the graphic - this mad eit super easy to locate any file i needed. Now the none of my .xar files render a thumbnail of the graphic - only a Xara logo thumbnail icon shows up. See screenshot.

Is their a workaround for this?

Attachment 124368
    I don't know a workaround, my system updated to windows 11 which does MOST of what I want some things I was accustomed to seem harder to find though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.