Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to view .Xar Thumbnail in windows

Ive been using Xara Xtreme V4 for years. It works great.

For years - In my Xara graphics file folders on my Windows 7 OS - all of my .Xar files would render a thumbnail of the graphic - this mad eit super easy to locate any file i needed. Now the none of my .xar files render a thumbnail of the graphic - only a Xara logo thumbnail icon shows up. See screenshot.

Is their a workaround for this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 Dot Xar.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	124368

Default Re: How to view .Xar Thumbnail in windows

You're not mentioning whether you're using a 32- or 64bit system but perhaps this old post might work: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Vista-7-64bit.

Im using 32 bit.

I followed the detailed instructions as per that post - unfortunately it did not work.

I found this: MY XAR FILES ARE NOT DISPLAYING AS THUMBNAILS IN WINDOWS EXPLORER
    If the saved .xar/.web files do not show a thumbnail previewing the file then the DLL responsible for this can be manually registered to resolve this problem.

The DLL file will be present in the program installation folder, in the XaraDLLs folder. For example, if you're using Designer Pro X9 then that path may be
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\XaraDLLs

There are 2 different DLL files in this folder and which one you register depends on the operating system you are using.

If you are using a 32 bit operating system then you need to register the XarThumb.dll file.

If you are using a 64 bit operating system then you need to register the XarThumb64.dll file.

Adjust the instructions below accordingly for your environment, the installation path may be different on your computer.

1. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories
    2. Right click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'
    3. Type the following command (update this accordingly for your program/environment):
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\XaraDLLs\XarThumb64.dll"

4. Press return on your keyboard.
    5. You should then see a message confirming that the process was completed successfully, click OK to that.
    6. Close the Command Prompt window.

https://help.xara.com/article/137-my...ndows-explorer

I get a error when I enter the suggested comand line into Coman prompt regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\XaraDLLs\XarThumb32.dll"

Is this line corrct? regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X9\XaraDLLs\XarThumb64.dll"

you can try refreshing the thumbnails by turning them off and then on again

if you do not know how to do this then see the ticked answer in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

as far as the DLL register goes - no the line is not correct because you are not using designer pro x9
    Nothing lasts forever...

also once you have the correct path for version you are using, the DLL name is XarThumb.dll not XarThumb32.dll for 32bit win7
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    also once you have the correct path for version you are using, the DLL name is XarThumb.dll not XarThumb32.dll for 32bit win7
    Could you type the File Path - I don't understand command lines - I am running Xara Xtreme 4.0.4966

Thank you very muchClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara 4.0.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	124378

Refreshing the Thumbnail did not change anything. Much appreciate your many suggestions -

You'll actually have to find the XarThumb.dll file on your own computer and make a note of the exact path then you can put it into regsvr32
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.