Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A reminder of what we've lost

Remember the times when people regularly posted art rather than web pages?

Here's a reminder. Wow. Even now.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...?24878-Visitor

Default Re: A reminder of what we've lost

I remember Valery's work, just masterfully done. Don't people like to draw anymore. Seems like all the sites are the same. Very little activity to what there used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I remember Valery's work, just masterfully done. Don't people like to draw anymore. Seems like all the sites are the same. Very little activity to what there used to be.
    Indeed. I came across this thread when clearing out old emails - I send myself interesting links.

Here's a silly drawing for you - I don't do realistic (and shh.. ..it's not Xara)..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paper.Art.52.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	124308

You know Paul it's just enjoyable to draw something. To create something from nothing, from your mind. It can be a doodle or a masterpiece, it really doesn't matter. It's just fun to do.

You know Paul it's just enjoyable to draw something. To create something from nothing, from your mind. It can be a doodle or a masterpiece, it really doesn't matter. It's just fun to do.
    It certainly is. That one was of a USB light - a spaceman - so I added the spaceship and umbilical cord. The spaceship dates me.

What a pity I can't draw, paint or do those things I loved much anymore, and, yes I remember those times you speak of.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It's strange, I don't draw as much as I did a few years back. No reason why. However what's an even greater shame is seeing all those old names of contributors to TG. The forums where a fast flowing river in that time, now the forums a mere trickle
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It's sad. There's something going on in our societies. I'm not sure where we are headed now. I guess I'm from a different generation.

It's sad. There's something going on in our societies. I'm not sure where we are headed now. I guess I'm from a different generation.
    I don't think that's necessarily true (we are talking about artistic expression?). I think the opposite is true in terms of artistic expression.

Art is as popular as ever - more than ever I would say. There is a plethora of artists groups on the internet and of art-related sites with online classes of all kinds as well as meeting groups and people going out together to sketch. The Art scene is absolutely vibrant, both in terms of traditional media and digital media.

When it comes to Art and Xara then it's different. Back in the day the only thing we could do with Xara software was draw and that's what brought many of the old-timers (in Xara terms) here and it was like that for several years and we had Xara's golden age for artistic expression. Then they added web development and quite quickly that moved the emphasis towards the web and new users are far more likely to come Xara as a web design program than for illustration or artistic reasons, so now forums that used to be dominated by drawing and illustration is dominated by web design questions.

While Xara has veered away from it's roots (and neglected it's original user base) from an illustration and artistic expression viewpoint more capable competitors have sprung up all around. If I want to sketch badly I use an iPad with an Apple pencil - it's fantastic (the software, not what I produce).

There's little reason to use Xara for artistic purposes as a new user - plenty of reason to do so if you are familiar with the software.

It's not that generations have changed, it's more a case that technology has changed and the reasons that made Xara attractive software for the purpose of artistic expression and illustration don't exist anymore.

I agree with a lot of what you say, Paul.

Xara's focus moved away from Draw to Web and Publish. One product that tries to do it all
    And now there are other competitors.
    Whilst Xara is very easy to use, other products are very cheap in comparison, and do an equally good job, if you have the time to learn them.

I think what's changed is that we haven't had any new members (apart from the spammers) who are interested in Xara for drawing.
    Hence why there hasn't been any real activity in the Art Forum.
    No-one is posting in the Art forum asking how do you do this, how do you do that? Meaning that we haven't had any real new users of Xara for drawing.

Larry's scribble challenges keep me active with Xara, and from time to time, I use Xara to do some work.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone