Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I have a navigation menu where the current page is highlighted somehow?

If I have a navigation menu bar with various buttons pointing to different pages, I can repeat that on all pages. But I would like the current page button to be different (different colour?) so it's obvious that there's no point in clicking it. Is that easy to do? It is in other web design s/w, but I can't see how to do it here.

Alan

Default Re: Can I have a navigation menu where the current page is highlighted somehow?

By default, the MouseOver button state is also the button state for the current page.

BUT, this only applies to the top tier pages and does not apply to pages that occur in sub menus. It should. But it does not.

What you can do, is create a MouseOver button for these pages and paste the button over the current button for the page in the Page & Layer Gallery.

Another thing you can do, is create a new layer that is above the MouseOver layer and name this layer MouseDown. This third button can be unique and will serve as the current page button, but as stated previously, only on the top tier pages.

UPDATE - Never mind. I tried this with sub menus and it does not work. The only way this will work is to create your menu on layers instead of using the Nav Bar tool. One hopes that Xara will address the nav bar soon.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 14 June 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Default Re: Can I have a navigation menu where the current page is highlighted somehow?

Ok - thanks.

Alan

Alan - Several years ago I put together a navigation system using layers to show how effective this can be. http://gwpriester.com/menu-test/ It takes a lot of time but the unique results are well worth the effort.

Each new layer can have its own MouseOver layer. But each time you add a new MouseOver layer you have to give it a unique name: MouseOver-1, MouseOver-2, etc.

Or a simple line. Just add a marker to whichever page is active.

This is my flavour of the month this month.
    TG Nav Bar.web

Nice solution Chris. BUT the problem is how to handle the sub menu pages.

Nice one, Chris. Might be a problem if you're working with subpages though, because then you'd be using Xara's navbar feature with the buttons 'lighting up' on the main pages. Unless, of course, you build the navbar yourself as Gary did.

Oops, cross-posting.

Here's a solution that is fairly straight forward. http://gwpriester.com/layer-menu/

I have attached a Web Designer file with explanation on the first page.

Basically, each navigation button is a separate soft group of a MouseOff and MouseOver state except the striped buttons that indicate the current page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

When you both said Sub Pages I thought, yeah, no problem. Then I read Xara Navbar...ok, problem, I've never used one before. So I did a reverse Veni, Viidi, Vici. I tried, I failed, I walked away.

So I did a reverse Veni, Viidi, Vici. I tried, I failed, I walked away.
    Heh heh. This is another area that needs revisiting.