Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A bit discouraging working with audio

Xara Designer Pro X 12.6.0.49270 DL x64: I've beenworking with Xara for years. I've had nothing but trouble with audio. I replaced the lead audio today because it wasn't working. All of a sudden the rest of them are not working. They were all working a short time ago. All I've done is make graphic changes to my pages then upload to the site with the Xara FTP. Anyone have an idea? Thanks. the site is: www.programmersdigest.com. I've put a great deal of work into it with Xara for this to be happening. I could reload each individually, a great deal of work, but if I do anything graphically it could happen again. I'm afraid to purchase the new Xara because of the issues I've had.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: A bit discouraging working with audio

I'm just using Firefox/Tools/Web Developer/Page Source to have a look and I can only see one mp3 (PDheader060719.mp3) in your page source. Does the whole page work OK if you do a preview in Designer Pro before publishing? If not, then the other mp3s and maybe the links to them are missing. If yes, then the page has not fully published. Do you have backups of your previous website versions?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    I'm just using Firefox/Tools/Web Developer/Page Source to have a look and I can only see one mp3 (PDheader060719.mp3) in your page source. Does the whole page work OK if you do a preview in Designer Pro before publishing? If not, then the other mp3s and maybe the links to them are missing. If yes, then the page has not fully published. Do you have backups of your previous website versions?
    The Header I replaced this date; it was not working. They were all working two or three days ago. I did notice something peculiar. The Header file shows HTML Placeholder. The rest of them under Mouse Off say "Shape" and I don't know when this changed of course. I've done a lot of uploading in the last couple of days. I'm sure this is what happened. I can re-import them one at a time and they'll work, but who knows what will happen when I do more work on the site and upload. It may even be the Xara FTP. I do have a back up, but it doesn't have near the material the current one does. Thanks for your response.

Speaking from experience I can say that it is important to let XDPro determine what does and does not get published. If file names are changed outside of XDPro's interface, or files are uploaded manually, links will break and it all goes downhill from there. I've found that it is really important to test your whole site in XDPro before you upload it. When it's all working 100% properly on your PC you can either get XDPro to upload the whole shebang or get XDPro to only upload what has changed since the last upload. This clever scheme will fail totally if it is circumvented by manual uploads, file renaming, etc.

Regarding versions of websites: When I have a website open in XDPro and I make some changes I simply save the whole .xar project with a new numeric suffix. That then becomes the current version and the old .xars just sit in limbo as they were, a handy reference and a working backup of how it was "back then". You need a fair bit of storage if there's a lot of media included, but big hard drives are pretty cheap now.

Thank you for that J.

HI GG. Jays input is very important. What he's stating is that you regularly Save changes to your website, such that you have "website-v-1", "website-v-2", "website-v-3" and "website-v-4" etc rather than a single 'save' that overwrites the previous file with no way back to the history of your changes.

Then when things go tits up you have earlier versions of the site that worked.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg. The thing that hits me peculiar is that in Mouse Off all the MP3s have HTMLPlaceholder. When I save some on the page, or all, (not consistent) will change to Shape and the code pops out of Place Holder and I have to re-import the MP3s on that page. A lot of work..ugh.