Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Affinity Publisher

From begin the beta phase I'm involved as a beta tester and I must say that at this point, APublisher will be a good alternative to the competitors.
    I'm sure that in the next one-two years it maybe can concurate to Quark and Indesign. The last half year I done many Books for printing with APublisher.
    The work is much efectivier then my test with xara.

My preorder I've done last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I'm hoping with all the time it's been on Beta most of the issues will have been sorted out.
    I think there are free updates until version 2.
    I'm buying it to replace my ancient Adobe Pagemaker (yes, I still use it).
    Pagemaker (Aldus, cough) was the first professional layout software that I used. Absolutely loved it. Drop shadows by having a second copy offset under the first.

Adobe are still going with Pagemaker.

+1 for Affinity Publisher

I think some of our long established people could learn publisher and make a book far faster than sticking with Xara.

Absolutely agree.

I think some of our long established people could learn publisher and make a book far faster than sticking with Xara.
    I have no idea of whom you speak.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I think it's also $39US. Can't beat the price. If I weren't such an old dog (learning new tricks, etc.) I'd give it a try.
    Gary, I still have to learn many of the tools in xara. Just learn one tool a day instead of hovering all day on this forum :P

My prediction is this. Adobe will loose out on photoshop, illustrator and indesign in a few years time, not too long. They will however focus more on online products. Serif will rule with their price point, remember no monthly fees. I know of a few of my designer friends that have stopped completely with the cloud version and either gone back to the disk base older products like cs6 or switched to Serif.

Just to clarify and balance my moan about the price of upgrading Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, when all is said and done, the actual cost of buying a new copy is still very good value for what you get.

Aldus PageMaker was the first software I learned to use. I even had 'the t-shirt' which I won at a training event - not through any skill, just the quickest to answer a question!

I'm actually quite excited about the prospect of getting to grips with Affinity Publisher.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Pagemaker (Aldus, cough) was the first professional layout software that I used. Absolutely loved it. Drop shadows by having a second copy offset under the first.

Adobe are still going with Pagemaker.

+1 for Affinity Publisher

Arh yes, Aldus. I forgot that name; just rummaged in the cupboard and found The Aldus Guide to Basic Design by Roger C. Parker. How time flies.

They even had Master Pages back then!

Aldus Pagemaker was really cool. Then Adobe purchased it and essentially did what Corel tried to do with Xara, but they succeeded.

Quark was the only choice and they were a nasty company who were openly hostile to their users.

Everybody at the time said InDesign would never go anywhere.

So long ago.