Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Instant e-mail

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    20

    Default Instant e-mail

    Hi,

    Maybe I am not seeing the wood for trees but how do I arrange things so that a visitor to a Xara built website can send a mail to the site owner, or a pre-defined recipient, with just a single click ? That is no outlook pages on screen, just a simple click and the mail is sent ?

    As I said it is probably easy peasy but I am not making much progress...

    Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

    Zap

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Placitas, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    36,807

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Highlight the email address, the open the Link menu.

    You can also link to text, such as Send email and then add the email address in the link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	124393  
    Gary W. Priester
    Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude
    , Sir

    gwpriester.com | Custom-Stereograms.com | eyeTricks on Facebook






  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Won't that just do a "Mailto:" command which will open your default desktop mail program. I think he wants a prefilled form to actually send the email.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    9,527

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Without invoking mailto:, one needs an SMTP server. There is a lot of coding involved but look at https://smtpjs.com/ to see what you need to get up to.

    You could also try a hidden form, PHP, Ajax and jQuery if you have access to your web service server - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...jax-and-jquery.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Placitas, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    36,807

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    When you link to an email address, Xara automatically adds the mailto: command. And if you link to text such as Send email, Xara encodes the email address to hide it from spambots.

    And Acorn points out, this does not open all email clients, and it does not open webmail clients.

    On the other hand, adding the actual email text and linking the actual email will make the email address visible in the HTML so it can be harvested by spambots.

    I am not sure if this actually hides the email address but if you visit this gallery www.placitasartists.com/k_jacobs/ and click on Contact Info, you see the actual email address but it is not linked. I placed a rectangle over the text, made the rectangle 98% transparent, and linked the rectangle to the email address.
    Gary W. Priester
    Mr. Moderator Emeritus Dude
    , Sir

    gwpriester.com | Custom-Stereograms.com | eyeTricks on Facebook






  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Bracknell, UK
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Quote Originally Posted by zapatak View Post
    Hi,

    Maybe I am not seeing the wood for trees but how do I arrange things so that a visitor to a Xara built website can send a mail to the site owner, or a pre-defined recipient, with just a single click ? That is no outlook pages on screen, just a simple click and the mail is sent ?

    As I said it is probably easy peasy but I am not making much progress...

    Looking forward to hearing your suggestions

    Zap
    So what information would this email contain if the user has simply pressed a button?

    If you mean the user has to enter information then press a button - that's a form.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    18,971

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    I don't see any request re a form from the OP, just a request to open an email reply
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16GB Ram + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive
    Xara Designer Pro X 16

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Bracknell, UK
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't see any request re a form from the OP, just a request to open an email reply
    It all depends on what "just a simple click and the mail is sent" actually means.

    Does it mean "just a simple click and the mail client is opened"?

    or does it mean "just a simple click and the mail is sent" (using info already entered on-screen)?

    or does it mean "just a simple click and the mail is sent" (using some other info)?

    It's just that I don't associate opening the email client as actually sending the mail with one click.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I don't see any request re a form from the OP, just a request to open an email reply
    Hi, sorry to have confused the issue by not really describing the problem...

    It is obvious that there is more to this e-mail business than meets the eye!

    To be clear, I would like to place a button on the webpage which the user can click. Once he does this a mail is sent to a pre-determined recipient with no further intervention necessary on the part of the sender. I think that this would be a useful function and see many possible uses in the fields of opinion polls, voting etc

    My own intended use is slightly more complex....

    I am running a site for a group of devoted people who want to find some money to restore their 18nth century church organ. www.aobv.fr We are in Provence France and the site is in French.

    The idea is to set up a crowd funding operation. The one touch mail button will send a mail to a mail address which is temporarilly closed. The 'out of office' reply will be a pre-prepared mail explaining the organ situation and asking for donations. This mail will arrive in the mail inbox of the original button clicker who can then forward it as many times as he wishes to friends, family and other people he considers likely to make a donation.

    I hope that this explains why I am trying to send an empty mail to myself...

    I hope that you can help or maybe even suggest another way of arriving at the same result.

    Best wishes

    zap

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Bracknell, UK
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Instant e-mail

    Quote Originally Posted by zapatak View Post
    Hi, sorry to have confused the issue by not really describing the problem...

    It is obvious that there is more to this e-mail business than meets the eye!

    To be clear, I would like to place a button on the webpage which the user can click. Once he does this a mail is sent to a pre-determined recipient with no further intervention necessary on the part of the sender. I think that this would be a useful function and see many possible uses in the fields of opinion polls, voting etc

    My own intended use is slightly more complex....

    I am running a site for a group of devoted people who want to find some money to restore their 18nth century church organ. www.aobv.fr We are in Provence France and the site is in French.

    The idea is to set up a crowd funding operation. The one touch mail button will send a mail to a mail address which is temporarilly closed. The 'out of office' reply will be a pre-prepared mail explaining the organ situation and asking for donations. This mail will arrive in the mail inbox of the original button clicker who can then forward it as many times as he wishes to friends, family and other people he considers likely to make a donation.

    I hope that this explains why I am trying to send an empty mail to myself...

    I hope that you can help or maybe even suggest another way of arriving at the same result.

    Best wishes

    zap
    It can't be done exactly as you describe - you can't activate the email client on the computer and make it send the email immediately. Without the email client you won't know the users email address.

    It would be very sneaky if a button press gave away a users email address.

    Just be upfront and explain what is going on on the web page than try and manipulate people via email.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •