Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how to draw exact angle

Apologies for a very basic question - how do I draw two lines at a specific angle, or measure the angle between two lines?

Default Re: how to draw exact angle

It's not as basic as you may think Slast, probably not as simple as it may be in other programs, but here's how I'd go about it:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

slast, I would do it differently.

With the Shape Tool selected, set Make Line and Cusp Join (press LZ).
    Click three random points.
    Press Tab to select the mid-point control.
    In the Line Angle data entry box, type in the required angle.
    Finally, Break at points.

You now have two lines, with a joining angle that you have set.

============

For two existing lines, clone both.
    If not intersecting, extend them so they cross using Shift+Drag of any corner control with the Select tool.
    Select one of the Lines and change to Rotation Handles.
    Move the Rotation centre to the intersection.
    Rotate one Line onto the other and read off the Angle before releasing the mouse key.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks both! I have to say that I'm amazed that such a powerful programme as this doesn't have a simpler way of doing it! - e.g. draw a line, select an intermediate point and drag it with a readout of the angle at that point.... I've been an occasional user since it was Xara Studio and keep forgetting basic stuff..... Tks again, Steve

1. Draw a vertical or horizontal line.
    2. Click twice and drag the center of rotation bulls eye to the bottom of the line.
    3. Enter the precise angle in the Angle of Selection text entry box (-N for clockwise rotation)
    4. Press Enter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line rotation.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	124243  

That's super - is there a similar quick way to do an arc/sector?

Hmm. There is a smart shape that might do this, I am not sure. Might have to be two steps. Create the angle, then edit the smart shape to match.

Yes, there's the piesegment shapes in the online catalogue but you can only set the arc in %'age not angles. It's further complicated in that it's set to default to snap to 12.5%, 45% etc, so trying to create an arc of 30 degrees (12%) is almost impossible due to the snapping at 12.5%.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by slast View Post
    That's super - is there a similar quick way to do an arc/sector?
    Create a circle, change to Editable Shapes, remove one control point to get a semi-circle, remembering to Make line (L) with the two end points..
    Clone that and rotate the required angle around the centre.
    Select both and Intersect Shapes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat