Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Blackburn

Default Blackburn

This is an old drawing, I've increased the planes size to show more detail. The balloon in background is also vector drawing. The plane flew as badly as it looked. It had one of those strange little motors where the whole motor rotated with the prop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackburn.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	124263  

Default Re: Blackburn

What is the story behind this Gray?
    Did the plane shoot the balloon?

I would think not as the plane is only scouting.....

They were designed as an anti- Zeppelin fighter. but flew as poorly as they looked. Only 4 were built. I drew it because it looked so peculiar.

The location of the balloon bothers me. In fact I wondered what it was, or if the plane was carrying it or what it was or something, Anyway even if this was done some time ago, it's not one of your better efforts, sorry.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Don't be sorry, Larry. I give you the good, bad and the ugly. I never did like this plane, but it was an oddity, so I had to draw it. I've used the drawing in other illustrations. Here's another one I used it in. Sometimes lipstick on a pig doesn't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Biplane750.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	124456  

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    The location of the balloon bothers me. In fact I wondered what it was
    It's a German balloon - it has a WW1 swastika on it and the plane is British. I was surprised to see it because I associate such balloons with barrage balloons (these balloons were used to lift steel cables to ensnare aircraft making low-level attacks - seen in Saving Private Ryan), but balloons like that were also used in WW1 with a basket underneath with an observer to spy on the opposition positions from the air. I couldn't find a reference showing the Germans using barrage balloons.

The plane certainly is ungainly, but I don't agree with your assessment of the piece.

You'd need to be pretty brave to be aloft in either the plane or the balloon. Personally, I'd rather be in the plane with some level of control of my destiny, than be raised aloft hoping not to be attacked and totally reliant on a ground crew to save me if I came under attack.

True, the Blackburn Scout or Sparrow as it was also called was built to shoot down observation balloons. In the image you just can't see the basket under the balloon. I agree I wouldn't want to be sitting in the plane or the balloon basket.

I agree it is an ugly plane, but I personally like this second image better. Thanks Gray.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.