Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Passwords

Default Passwords

I get no end of dodgy emails wanting me to donate to a blockchain account because my computer has been taken over and they have recorded me doing unmentionable things if I don't do so.

Today I had one that says the usual stuff, but this one is slightly different - it includes a password.
    I generally don't use the same password, if I need to create a password for some account, I make different ones according to a pattern. The one included with the dodgy email included a password that fitted the pattern that I use, so I know that some company or organisation has been hacked and my details stolen - worse still they didn't encrypt the password.

Because I use a different password every time, that password won't allow access to other accounts, so it's not such a big deal.

I think my hacked password is from linkedin - they were hacked in 2012 and thousands of people had their details passed to Russian criminals.

The moral of all this is that if you use one password for everything, the bad guys only need to find out your password once to get access to all your accounts. Don't use one password for everything.

Check here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    My email address has been used in four hacked companies I know of. There may be more.

Paul

Default Re: Passwords

Yoiks! I try to use two step when it is available. Is that better.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Yoiks! I try to use two step when it is available. Is that better.
    Definitely.

My daughter had 11 sites mentioned as being compromised.

My four were Adobe, Linkedin, DropBox and Kickstarter.

So many people use the same password for everything.

I had Adobe flagged by BitDefender Armor.

I knew about the Adobe hack - it was several years ago and much publicised. Adobe emailed me to tell me about it and I think they locked the passwords until a new one was set up.

I really find it strange when people use the same password for everything. I also find it strange when people store their passwords on a device connected to the internet. My suggestion: create complex passwords and then write them down, that's right, write them down on a piece of paper, make some copies and put them in various places around your home. Then also use 2 step verification. Who's going to hack your piece of paper?
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

or put them in an encrypted file with a unique [of course], very strong, very memorable password - this has the advantage of being easily transferable if you are 'out of action' provided the master password is known to whoever steps in

I've tried a few password managers, but mostly I'm not that impressed

some passwords I do write down, but not the actual password rather a memonic linked to it - course I have to remember which is which, that can be factored into the memonic, but after a while such a system tends to slide....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Who's going to hack your piece of paper?
    +1
    It is after all an air gap and it allows those left guessing what is needed should get all the information in a friendly format. Just don't leave it under the keyboard and tell someone else where to find it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat