Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Printer Are You Using

At work, our HP 8600 muti function printer has developed a print head problem and now produces a streak in the blue colors. We use this printer pretty heavy and it is several years old so not really worth replacing the print head for the cost.

I am tired of paying so much for ink and decided to look at the Epson Eco tank line. Looking at the ET-4750 version here in the US, Europe has a different number for the same printer. I really like the idea on the refillable tanks on the printer and moving away from the cartridges.

Wondering what everybody else is using and has anybody every used the Epson Eco line before?

Ray

Default Re: What Printer Are You Using

There is an old saying attributed to King Gillette the founder of the razor blade company, give them the razor (free) sell them the blades. It's the same thing with desktop printers. The cost of a decent printer is very low, it's the ink where the companies make their profits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model

I have an HP OfficeJet 6968 which is an all in one printer, copier, etc. and it has seen a lot of use. Most printers we have owned have crapped out after a few years and are not worth the price of repairing. The Eco ink sounds promising. I'd give it a try.

I have an HP Photosmart 110a all in one printer. The cost of ink depends a lot on the printer, the "The Eco ink sounds promising. though I'd give it a try."
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

My favourite printer was a HP CP1700. Now obsolete. Cartridges were expensive, so we bought third party ones at a fraction of the price. Absolutely did the job at a reasonable cost.

Now we use an epson consumer printer with 3rd party cartridges - it cost about $ 50. I can buy two new sets of cartridges for it for about $14.

I don't know what your expectations are for print quality, but I'd say the major part of the ink cost is in your purchase price. You'll need to print a lot to recoup that. Maybe you do.

Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 color laser copier/printer/scanner wirelessly connected on the network, and a Canon iPF 760, 36 inch large format inkjet printer and 36 inch, roll-type color scanner - I used both in my graphic design/digital print studio, that is closed now, so these are my home printers now.

we have used some very good and inexpensive 3rd party cartridges for the brother - one issue though is lightfastness, dye based versus pigmented basically
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The problem I am seeing with the new printers is they have made the cartridges so that third party cartridges are no longer recognized in the printer. HP released a firm ware update to a lot of their printers that had this feature. The consumers were up in arms about it.

That is one of the reasons I am looking at the refillable ink tank printers. However, that Epson is expensive and not as robust as our old HP printer so still a little on the fence about this.

thanks for everybody's ideas.

Ray

I always liked HP as a company, but this sort of thing does not make them look good - you may find this article of may19 informative/useful:

https://support.bchtechnologies.com/...ng-What-to-do-

Not sure the tank printer technology is robust enough to rely on yet
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Interesting article handrawn, thanks.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.