Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Encoding email address

Can someone help me? I am encoding an email address with Em@ilEncoder2.0 and when putting in the code into the html body with a placeholder and viewing it, it drops the word "email" which is my placeholder onto the next line. I've tried a few things but can't figure out why it's dropping it to the next line when there is plenty of room on the page for the text. I can't show you the page because it's redoing my website and it's not live.

Here's the coding..
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!--document.write('<a href=" &#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;&#115;&#11 7;&#115;&#97;&#110;&#110;&#64;&#98;&#111;&#100;&#9 7;&#99;&#105;&#111;&#117;&#115;&#98;&#101;&#97;&#1 14;&#100;&#105;&#101;&#115;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#109"> email</a>');
    // --> </script>

Info Re: Encoding email address

Sue, your code won't work as presented as it is all REMmed out; the <!-- ... --> is a comment section.

HTML Code:
    <script>document.write('<a href="&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;&#115;&#117;&#115;&#97;&#110;&#110;&#64;&#98;&#111;&#100;&#97;&#99;&#105;&#111;&#117;&#115;&#98;&#101;&#97;&#114;&#100;&#105;&#101;&#115;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#109">email</a>');</script>
    Nothing I do to the placeholder will cause the email link to drop down.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 20 May 2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Encoding email address

If you link to Send e-mail and then use your email address for the link, Xara automatically encodes your email without any additional script.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If you link to Send e-mail and then use your email address for the link, Xara automatically encodes your email without any additional script.
    Gary, good catch,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I tried this but when you hover, you still see the info. How do I know it's encoded?

... Xara automatically encodes your email without any additional script.
    What you say here is very interesting.
    My question is a little different, but somewhat related to the original post.

I belong to a business message board and in one thread they were talking about how to keep from getting spam from the email that's listed on one's website.
    I actually get very little spam through the email that's on my website. (I get more from my other emails that I use signing on to other websites) I figured that I didn't get much spam because my website doesn't get much visitors, but I guess that wouldn't matter because the spam bots scour the web regardless.

Anyhow, one person the the other message board mentioned email obfuscation and had a link to a site where you enter your email and it makes up a code snippet to replace your "mailto:" code that the spam bots won't easily recognize, but let's real people see it and click it to send an email. So I thought I would give it a try.

When I opened my "Contact Me" page in Notepad to edit the actual HTML, I didn't see any "mailto:" code anywhere so that I could replace it. I did find where the code is that Xara is using to send email, but it doesn't have the "mailto:" term. (I also saw that I have the same things twice in the HTML, which confused me at first. But then I realized it must be one version is for my desktop site and the other version is for the mobile site.)

So, my question is - does that mean that Xara does encode (and thereby obfuscate) the email address? And does that make it harder for the spam bots to grab your email?

So, my question is - does that mean that Xara does encode (and thereby obfuscate) the email address? And does that make it harder for the spam bots to grab your email?
    Exactly.

I would suggest you change the email you use on these forums you participate in to a specific gmail account. So if your forum is OldSoldiersNeverDie then see if you can register a gmal account using that as the name: OldSoldiersNeverDie@gmail.com

This way if you get email with that address and it is spam, then you know the source.

Thank you. That's a good thing to know.

Well, Acorn, you know I must have done something wrong then. Everything I did dropped it. I see you wrote something else...will give that a shot.

It actually does work in all my sites but this one with Xara. In Dreamweaver, works like a charm! You can't view where it's going but when you click on it, it works! Used it for years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sue, your code won't work as presented as it is all REMmed out; the <!-- ... --> is a comment section.

HTML Code:
    <script>document.write('<a href="mailto:susann@bodaciousbeardies.co&#109">email</a>');</script>
    Nothing I do to the placeholder will cause the email link to drop down.

Acorn