Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transparencies - How?

Hi:

Author who designs his own book covers here again.

I can do fairly basic transparencies pretty well. But I occasionally come across a book cover that does something I have yet to figure out. Link provided here to an image so you can see the transparency about which I'm inquiring.

https://goonwrite.com/covers/10696.jpg

How do I accomplish something like this with Xara? ETA: I have Xara 15.

Thanks!

Default Re: Transparencies - How?

Quote Originally Posted by Emmeric View Post

I can do fairly basic transparencies pretty well. But I occasionally come across a book cover that does something I have yet to figure out. Link provided here to an image so you can see the transparency about which I'm inquiring...
    The version isn't important, but thanks for providing it.

I would do this in a bitmap editor myself, export and make the composite in my Xara application...but something akin to what you linked to can be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000033.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	124094

Both images have been cutout of their backgrounds. I did those in a bitmap application years ago so I used them. But that can be done in your Xara application too. I'm just not versed in the how. Gary & Frances are, so maybe if that is a hangup they can step in.

The woman has an Overlay transparency applied. This transparency will still interact with the separate filled rectangle at the back, so I created a shape that follows the left side of the boxer to the bottom of the woman's image. Brought out the shape beyond her left side (well, really her right side...) and made sure as I brought the shape up it encompassed all of her image, and then connected it to the top where I started. Like so:

I then simply subtracted that shape from her image to obtain what you see above.

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000034.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	124095

Default Re: Transparencies - How?

You can also look at opacity masks to create this effect.

I thought somebody posted about opacity masks in the past week or so but I can not seem to find that thread. In that thread I believe it was Gary that posted this link on opacity masks from the old Xara Xone which shows what you want to do.

http://archive.xaraxone.com/webxealo...kbook%205.html

Ray