Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I would like to avoid certain pages being published - How ?

I have only just received the Xara Web Design Premium package so I'm brand new to the product and struggling a bit getting used to it, so treat me gently please !
    As in my heading - I would like to avoid certain pages being published - Is this possible with this software ?

Why ? Because while I'm building the website there are pages not finished and I would not want them displayed (published). They are not linked (via navigation links) to the finished pages.

I hope it doesn't too confusing !
    Regards to all
    Joned.

Default Re: I would like to avoid certain pages being published - How ?

If there are no links to these pages, then they won't be seen unless someone knows the direct URL.

Example blahblah.com/notseen will technically be available to view, but no one will know it's there.

Chris - True, but if the page contains the word Aardvark, the hidden page may show up in a search for Aardvark.

There is a script I think to hide a page from search engines. I am sure Acorn or Egg or Siran of one of the more savvy members with supply it tomorrow.

I presumed we were talking short term, until the pages were finished.

There are several ways to stop the bots crawling. This one liner can be added to single pages or the whole site.
    I gave a solution here, then thought it didn't look right, so I removed it. And now I'm doubting whether doubts are substantiated. Time for a coffee methinks.

Last edited by Chris M; 12 May 2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Incorrect information (I doubted myself)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    if the page contains the word Aardvark, the hidden page may show up in a search for Aardvark.
    I'm not sure that's true.

Search engine robots can't scan directories they can only find things referenced in web page sources. If there are no links to a page it will not be found. That's my understanding.

This may also be interesting: https://moz.com/blog/12-ways-to-keep...search-engines

As one site I visited pointed out, don't put references to stuff in robots.txt that you don't want people to know about - because anyone can look at the robots.txt file, not just indexing spiders.

Paul

Thanks for your feedback.
    I am using the the template "Logotype" listed under the Websites > free example. I chose this because the design is ideal for my project, and because it is mobile friendly 'website variant' which is really important for my targeted visitors.
    I mention above in case it is relevant - now to the point..

In MOBILE, when I reduce the Browser page size the horizontal navigation bar becomes a single icon called "Site Menu" in the top right corner of the page - which is great. However, and this relates to the original question, amongst the drop down list displayed when the mouse is over the "Site Menu" icon is the name of the page I want hidden, and it is linked so can be opened !

I checked the page properties to the page and there is no links from/to it. So why is it available to be seen in the "Site Menu" drop down navigation list ?

The main site is ok, there is no sign of the hidden page in the Browser (because there is no link to it from the Navigation Bar).

I hope I've explained well enough !
    Regards
    Joned

If I understand correctly, then double click on the Site Menu icon and select and Delete the page you don't want to appear. This does not delete the page, it just keeps the page name from appearing in the Mobile menu.

In the Navigation Bar menu you can also reorder the menu items by dragging the title bars to a new position. And you can change the name of the pages. So if the menu shows about_us you can highlight the type with the Text Tool and change it to ABOUT for example and this is how it will appear on the button.

To answer the original request.

If you hide all the layers on a page then only something on the Page or Pasteboard backgrounds are published.
    In passing, rollovers and links do not work from the Page/Pasteboard backgrounds so you could leave a message but not get the viewer to click out.

Any NavBar on a site will indicate to a search bot that other pages exist and can be scanned.
    If is possible to add nofollow meta commands or customise the sitemap.xml file.

If a viewer hit a hidden page, it is possible to immediate redirect to a safe place.

There are lots of mechanisms available, involving code, that can be broken so just go for the first option.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics Joned.

Or another alternative:
    Have the web page with all the links & pages.
    Save this website as master-website.xar (or.web)
    Now save it as v1-website.xar
    Delete all the uncompleted pages.
    Publish.

You can open master-website.xar any time in the future, amend content:
    Save.
    Save as v2-website.xar
    Delete all the uncompleted pages.
    Publish.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

While everyone is answering the question that was asked, I'd like to ask another..

Why are you publishing, publically a half-built site?

I'd suggest not doing that at all!

You can publish the site in stages, without half-built pages. You can test your work by publishing the site-in-progress to a sub-directory on your web-server. If you work like that you will never need to work like this, hiding pages.

I'm not sure if you use Xara hosting, it may not allow this flexibility.

Some clients of mine use 'coming-soon' home pages until their website is complete.

You are going to hit trouble at some stage if you keep republishing your test/updated websites as the main site - it's bad practice.

Paul