Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to control an image pixels size in Xara ?

Hi everyone,

I need to upload several images to a website and they require a standard of not less than 640x640 pixels for each one.
    My images resolution were shot at 4032x1960 pixels, i used xara to cut out the objects i need and put them on a white background.
    So far exporting to jpeg, how can i control the pixels to the required size? is it by setting unit options to pixels and then modifying the width and height of every object?

Thank you for your support.

Default Re: How to control an image pixels size in Xara ?

That's it, you've got it. Change the Units to pixels and then type in the desired size into the width or height boxes. If you have Aspect Ratio locked you only need to type the smallest number into the smaller of the two and the larger number will look after itself. You can multiple select and still type into either Height or Width and all the pictures will alter accordingly. Just be aware that you should do all the tall ones together and then all the wide ones or the aspect lock may take some of them under size.

gaftalik is obviously aware of where to alter the Units to pixels, but for anyone searching through for a similar answer:
    File > Page Options > Units
    Width and Height selection on the top toolbar, Aspect Ratio lock is the padlock icon to the right.

Thank you for your answer.
    What about the export options under bitmap size, does setting the width and size to 640 pixels at 96 dpi adjusts the needed image size automatically to the exported file ?

Option 2 is also a winner

Think of another way and you win the big fluffy bunny!

Thank you much!

Need to mention that Dpi and pixel sizes are correlated to each others when exporting, i couldnt set 76 Dpi for a 640 pixels width.

that is correct - xara preserves the [notional] print size - so if your image is 96dpi 256px, if you change dpi to 300dpi the pixel size will change to 800px

256px at 96dpi, and 800px at 300dpi will both print at the same size: 2.666[repeating] inches
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you Handrawn.

What do you mean by "both print at the same size", is it the object space occupied on an A4 or whatever page dimension?

dpi stands for 'dots per inch' it is a printing term - the larger the dpi, the closer together the pixels will be printed, and so yes both would print out to paper at 2.666 inches

there is a qualification to that of cousre [isn't there always] which is why I said notional in my previous post - as far as an image is concerned it's actual size is defined by the pixels only; some image files hold the notional dpi internally and some don't - you load it into a program, some take notice of the internal dpi and some don't, so in the latter case it may print out at a different size from that program....

if you are doing images for websites then AFAIK the pixel size is all you need worry about
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you much !

you are welcome
    Nothing lasts forever...