Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default General Question

HI sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i am hoping to make changes to my website to make it update changes faster, My question is (and it sounds silly in my head) if i log in via FTP and delete all the files, because there`s quite a lot that now have nothing to do with the website itself - and then re upload the new version of my site (i am going to make use of sub domains) will this work out ok as i say it sounds a daft question
    Jack

Default Re: General Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Terrier View Post
    HI sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i am hoping to make changes to my website to make it update changes faster, My question is (and it sounds silly in my head) if i log in via FTP and delete all the files, because there`s quite a lot that now have nothing to do with the website itself - and then re upload the new version of my site (i am going to make use of sub domains) will this work out ok as i say it sounds a daft question
    Jack
    It should be fine, BUT my advice is to do this in two stages.

1) create a subdirectory on your webspace - say "./old-site"
    2) move all your website files and directories to "old-site". DON'T move stuff like .htaccess, etc.
    3) FTP the new site

If the new site doesn't work then you have a way back. If it's all good you can delete the old-site directory.

Hopefully if anyone sees an issue with this, post about it.

ALWAYS have a backup when doing stuff like this.

Paul

Jack, I would flip Paul's advice and move all the current stuff to a folder with a name that refers to the date of the move. This can be checked and used for a historical view of your work, setting the folder to public or private as you require.
    Then upload new into old location. If all works, job done. If not, you have a recovery from the old version.
    I always like keeping a few archive copies just in case; storage is cheap.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 10 May 2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    JAck, I would flip Paul's advices and move all the current stuff to a folder with a name that refers to the date of the move. This can be checked and used for a historical view of your work, setting the folder to public or private as you require.
    Then upload new into old location. If all works, job done. If not, you have a recovery from the old version.
    I always like keeping a few archive copies just in case; storage is cheap.

Acorn
    Good advice.