Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Some fonts screwed up in Google Chrome, but other browsers OK

Random elements of text all too often display as totally different from that designed in Google Chrome when pages are first uploaded.
    Strangely, the distortion is not apparent in Edge or Firefox and even the Chrome problems are inclined to disappear in the following days.
    This means I cannot trust my websites to show as designed.
    I am running latest versions of Win 10 and Google Chrome on a Surface 4 Pro with Xara Web Designer Premium 15.1.0.53605
    I have not updated to the latest version as I am in two minds whether to swap to another provider.
    Any ideas?
    The latest cock up is at http://www.looelifeboats.co.uk/donate.html which should show as below, with the screwed up image alongside.
    Note that 2 of the 3 captions are incorrect, yet they all have the same font.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cock up.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	124062
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Correct page.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	124063

Default Re: Some fonts screwed up in Google Chrome, but other browsers OK

Does this occur just after you publish the site after editing and whatnot?

I find Chrome an absolute pain when it comes to holding on to it's cache. Refreshing usually doesn't do the job and I have go into settings and clear it manually.

Thank you Chris M.
    Clearing the cache has fixed this problem, so it appears I am the only one seeing the errors, which is a great relief.

I have been having the same issues. I develop websites for many clients and after an update I often hear about how they can’t see the updates and/or the website is all messed up. [a lot like the screenshots above] Which tells me it’s not just my cache but theirs as well, and probably any other person who visits the website.

I so confused… Is this a Web Designer” issue or GoDaddy or global issue?

I have also tried refreshing, hard reset, reloading the page, clearing cache in settings and sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn’t. I have 4 browsers on my computer and they all show the same mixed up results, so I was leaning towards it being a server cache issue, instead of the browser cache issue. I emailed my service provider asking questions, but did not receive a reply back from them.

Usually it resolves its self after several hours to 24 hours, but this isn’t a solution when clients are questioning you about why their website is a mess. One even yelled at me and I had no answers to give him except to wait it out to let it take care of itself. He didn’t like that answer too much and I didn’t blame him either.

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    I have been having the same issues. I develop websites for many clients and after an update I often hear about how they can’t see the updates and/or the website is all messed up. [a lot like the screenshots above] Which tells me it’s not just my cache but theirs as well, and probably any other person who visits the website.

I so confused… Is this a Web Designer” issue or GoDaddy or global issue?

I have also tried refreshing, hard reset, reloading the page, clearing cache in settings and sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn’t. I have 4 browsers on my computer and they all show the same mixed up results, so I was leaning towards it being a server cache issue, instead of the browser cache issue. I emailed my service provider asking questions, but did not receive a reply back from them.

Usually it resolves its self after several hours to 24 hours, but this isn’t a solution when clients are questioning you about why their website is a mess. One even yelled at me and I had no answers to give him except to wait it out to let it take care of itself. He didn’t like that answer too much and I didn’t blame him either.
    Change (non-)service provider. With mine I can purge the server caching immediately.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Where would I find the option to purge my server caching?

Info Re: Some fonts screwed up in Google Chrome, but other browsers OK

Where would I find the option to purge my server caching?
    If you are with GoDaddy then I am sure there are Help pages for it...

The only other suggestion would be to publish twice.
    The first time with
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control"content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"/>
    <meta http-equiv="Pragma"content="no-cache"/>
    <meta http-equiv="Expires"content="0"/>
    added to Utilities > Web Properties > Website > HTML Code (head).
    This ought to ensure the current server pages are fetched regardless of browser or server caching.

After a suitable period (when the client nods sagely, republish with the META labels removed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I followed your instructions, but unfortunately, this hasn't worked either.
    Do you think it has anything to do with my free SSL account with Cloudflare?
    Or can you think of any other things I can try?
    I even tried uploading the website the slow way. Share--> Publish--> Settings: Fast Publish (Only changed files).
    I'm also wondering if website visitors are seeing the website all messed up just like I am?
    I used www.GeoPeeker.com to check, and it looks like they are.

I followed your instructions, but unfortunately, this hasn't worked either.
    Do you think it has anything to do with my free SSL account with Cloudflare?
    Or can you think of any other things I can try?
    I even tried uploading the website the slow way. Share--> Publish--> Settings: Fast Publish (Only changed files).
    I'm also wondering if website visitors are seeing the website all messed up just like I am?
    I used www.GeoPeeker.com to check, and it looks like they are.
    I use a free SSL certificate and Clourflare and have no problems.

We need a link to your site.
    "all messed up" is more likely publishing to the wrong place.
    Acorn

I have over 30 client websites, so I don't think they are going to the wrong place. Each client has their own GoDaddy account and hosting.

I'd be happy to show you what's happening, but it only shows up for about 4 to 12/24 hours after an update has been done, and right now I don't have any websites doing this at this time. However, it looks a lot like the screenshots above. I will be sure to post a website link when this happens again to confirm. I will do anything I can for a client, but when this issue comes up it's so embarrassing that I can't fix it for them in a timely matter.

Last night I went into my file manager and deleted a page that was causing problems and then uploaded the website again and it still didn't fix it.
    Come to think about it, one of my clients does not have CloudFlare SSL and it happens on their website as well. I thought for sure that was the problem, but I guess not. I use the default CloudFlare settings, and there are also cache settings, but I leave them as is. Here's a link, but I'm not sure if you can use it since I am logged into my account. https://dash.cloudflare.com/4d27c1ac...ds.com/caching.

I was doing some experimenting last night with one of my own websites, and one page is currently showing very mild signs of this here... http://www.madaboutmolds.com/Casting...structions.htm
    On desktop it's showing no bold text and yesterday it was the wrong font. On mobile, it looks fine today, but that isn't always the case. It will probably fix its self soon, and usually it's much worse than this.