Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Some fonts screwed up in Google Chrome, but other browsers OK

Hi Marjorie. When you experience this it is very disconcerting - an 'oh no!' moment. However, this is not a hosting issue, or an issue with Xara. After speaking with my hosting provider a few years ago they told me this, and I contacted google to confirm it (took them 3 weeks to respond...). It is the efficiency of your computer and which ever search engine you use (with chrome being the most efficient) embedding websites that you visit often so that they load quicker for you next time you visit the site. From Wikipedia "In computing, a cache is a hardware or software component that stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster; the data stored in a cache might be the result of an earlier computation or a copy of data stored elsewhere." "Stored elsewhere" refers usually to the websites hosting provider and the server they use. You and your client will probably be the only ones seeing the mish mash of fonts not displaying correctly, overlapping, etc. Your clients website visitors possibly will not experience the same problem unless they visit the site with the same regularity that you and your client do. After making changes I ask all my clients to clear their cache 'since the beginning of time', and explain that their clients will not experience the same issues. Keeps them happy, keeps me happy. I use Filezilla, which is suppose to eliminate having to do this by selecting "Overwrite if source is different or newer", but it doesn't eliminate all the problems.

Yes, it is very frustrating. As you know, developing websites takes a lot of work, and when it doesn't look right to a client who's paid a lot of money to have their website developed is even more frustrating.

I just made some updates to my own website and did what you said above with FileZilla [again] and it's still giving me these issues.

Is there any other work-around to confirm my clients that the website does infact look like how it is intended to look to reassure them I'm not lying to them?
    Some of them who have information on their website that changes daily are very concerned their customers are seeing the wrong or old information.

I'm not convinced that website visitors are not seeing this mish-mash of unpredictable content. If you test a website page on https://www.geopeeker.com/ I can view what visitors see it's not at all what they should be viewing.

Thanks for your assistance. Getting to the bottom of this is very important.

Marjorie, when you use GeoPeeker, you still need to consider you are using CloudFlare and are dependent on its propagation of new content and server caching, which takes time and could therefore just be showing the delay.

You could create a small update icon (Δ) as a repeating object on all pages with a faint transparency on the page edge with a link of
    javascript: window.location.reload(true);
    This would allow you to force a server refresh.

What you could then do is advise which site you have done this too here and we could immediately check and report back if it is visible.
    If it is then it is just local browser caching.

If it appears after a time we can let you know.
    Finally, as it is now available all subsequent updates would have this mechanism to force a refresh.
    Second finally, it might be possible to include this as a one off automatic refresh but there is no point until we know what we are dealing with.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I did as you suggested, but it's not refreshing from the server. This is how it's supposed to look.https://letstalk.tinytake.com/tt/Mzg0NDk3OV8xMTc1Njg5MwThis is how it's showing it online.https://letstalk.tinytake.com/tt/Mzg0NDk4NF8xMTc1NjkyOAThis is the website I'm testing these issues on, with a refresh button on the top right side.https://www.madaboutmolds.com/Troubleshooting.htm[of coarse this will correct after the 4 to 24 hours cache refresh it seems to be doing.Do you see anything else I can do to make this work right? Or anything I'm doing wrong? I'll do whatever it takes for this to look good for my Clients.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Fonts.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	125421

I tested your link in Chrome 78.0.3904.70; if I understand correctly what you are looking to see, this is it. Try a further upload to your host and immediately test your site from another device (not your laptop/PC) and establish whether the same error occurs. This will give you a clue whether it is server-side or client-side.

Maybe post your .XAR test file and members here can confirm that it publishes correctly (and is immediately visible without error), on theirs or a Magic server.

Further thought - some of the known Google font issues are related to the Chrome 2D flag https://coderwall.com/p/9tecwq/fix-p...ome-on-windows.

Check URL=Chrome://flags

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google Fonts_2D Canvas.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	125422

Try disabling Accelerated 2D Canvas and see if this resolves your browser issue; if not, reset 'Enabled'. I think I read in the threat you have had this problem for a while.

Marjorie, just to confirm the troubleshooting page looked fine on first opening for me.
    Could you now make a change to it and upload that change?
    That way I will be able to see if the change appears right away or needs the Refresh.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey thank you so much for the information and additional things to try. Yes this screenshot is the correct view of the site, however when it's displaying wrong www.geopeeker.com is also showing it wrong, so it's not just me seeing it the wrong way. I tried to view from my cell phone, but this website has a mobile version of the website so it doesn't do any good since that's WD mobile variant. I have over 30 client websites I am currently maintaining and it happens on them whether they are created from a blank page or a template.I also tested your idea with the “Turn on ClearType” and also the "Accelerated 2D Canvas" without any solution to this issue. I have a feeling the files are not over-writing the old files correctly, or the cache filkes do not clear out. I don't know, but I have five different browsers all showing the same results, so I do not think it's the browser. Clearing the cache does not help. Just time clears it out. Would my internet provider have any settings to clear out cache? Or CloudFlare for SSL? Another thing that has sometimes helped [but not consistently) is coping the web-page address to a new tab and adding the https/ to the address so it comes directing from the root [or whatever that means] read it on a Google search result and he was sure it helped him with his cache issues.