Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Some fonts screwed up in Google Chrome, but other browsers OK

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    I have over 30 client websites, so I don't think they are going to the wrong place. Each client has their own GoDaddy account and hosting.

I'd be happy to show you what's happening, but it only shows up for about 4 to 12/24 hours after an update has been done, and right now I don't have any websites doing this at this time. However, it looks a lot like the screenshots above. I will be sure to post a website link when this happens again to confirm. I will do anything I can for a client, but when this issue comes up it's so embarrassing that I can't fix it for them in a timely matter.

Last night I went into my file manager and deleted a page that was causing problems and then uploaded the website again and it still didn't fix it.
    Come to think about it, one of my clients does not have CloudFlare SSL and it happens on their website as well. I thought for sure that was the problem, but I guess not. I use the default CloudFlare settings, and there are also cache settings, but I leave them as is. Here's a link, but I'm not sure if you can use it since I am logged into my account. https://dash.cloudflare.com/4d27c1ac...ds.com/caching.

I was doing some experimenting last night with one of my own websites, and one page is currently showing very mild signs of this here... http://www.madaboutmolds.com/Casting...structions.htm
    On desktop it's showing no bold text and yesterday it was the wrong font. On mobile, it looks fine today, but that isn't always the case. It will probably fix its self soon, and usually it's much worse than this.
    Thank you for sharing. If it self-rectifies then I can only be server caching. It is something you need to tackle with GoDaddy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Interesting. I contacted GoDaddy this morning and they say it's the cache setting /or code in the WD program. [which I do not see or have]
    GoDaddy says I do not have caching in my Delux Hosting service so there's nothing to clear or configure.
    I checked to see if my router has a cache file, but it doesn't look like it and even if it did I'm not sure how that would help on my client's end.

Quote Originally Posted by marjorie View Post
    Interesting. I contacted GoDaddy this morning and they say it's the cache setting /or code in the WD program. [which I do not see or have]
    GoDaddy says I do not have caching in my Delux Hosting service so there's nothing to clear or configure.
    I checked to see if my router has a cache file, but it doesn't look like it and even if it did I'm not sure how that would help on my client's end.
    Very frustrating.

How can XWDP have caching when it only generates static sites consisting of HTML, CSS, JS and images that you upload to add, delete or overwrite previous file versions?

Try without Xara Fast Publish.

Alternatively, switch to an FTP program.
    I do this and Export locally and check the changes are correct (purging browser cache).
    I usually use Filezilla to overwrite but occasionally I delete the entire web space and reload everything.
    Even with such abuse, my sites accept it all even with Cloudflare active, though I do force a purge of my server caching when I remember.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Well, this is ridiculous. Now I'm really confused. I have FileZilla as well, so I gave it a shot. It worked, but wait there's more. I was so surprised that I made some more edits and did a new update to the website and then it stopped working. So I'm guessing the timing for the cache to clear out was just right?? The new files in the file manager have the current date and time, so I know they uploaded correctly. I even updated my FileZilla program, but that didn't change anything either.
    I just checked and I am using the latest version of WD Premium.

I just did another test. I did the same as above, except this time instead of using FileZilla I dropped the updated files straight into GoDaddy's file manager. It worked, but again it only worked the first time.
    I'm running out of ideas here, and I sure do appreciate the help I've gotten so far. I don't give up easily.

Hi Marjorie. Hate it when thing like this happen. Do you have a second hosting account with anyone? i.e. The Magix hosting account you get for free for 12 months after purchasing a Xara product? Or any other non GoDaddy hosting? If so do you experience the same issues when publishing there? If not perhaps you could send one of us your xar/web file such that we could upload it on our server as a test?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello, Thank you for your help with this issue. I've had problems with this for as long as I can remember, and clients are not always very patient*with these types of issues happening on their websites.

The main problems that I can see are the*font types, font color, font size, bold, italic, links such as PDF file updates, navigation bars, and animations. I do not think it affects photos, and it's usually only the pages on the website that have been updated which are causing these issues.**

When I do your suggestion it says my folder is locked or something. I wasn't able to upload it to my Magix account.

When I export the website to a folder on my desktop and open a page file from this folder I do not see issues. However, If I change the page content and export again over-writing the previous files and then open again, it shows the first export as if I hadn't exported a second time at all.*

Maybe it's an over-writing issue? I have no idea. The more I troubleshoot the more confused I get.

Yes, I can send the file to you if you show me where to upload it too, but keep in mind I have over 30 clients and this happens on other websites as well.

Thank you.

Hi Marjorie. When you experience this it is very disconcerting - an 'oh no!' moment. However, this is not a hosting issue, or an issue with Xara. After speaking with my hosting provider a few years ago they told me this, and I contacted google to confirm it (took them 3 weeks to respond...). It is the efficiency of your computer and which ever search engine you use (with chrome being the most efficient) embedding websites that you visit often so that they load quicker for you next time you visit the site. From Wikipedia "In computing, a cache is a hardware or software component that stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster; the data stored in a cache might be the result of an earlier computation or a copy of data stored elsewhere." "Stored elsewhere" refers usually to the websites hosting provider and the server they use. You and your client will probably be the only ones seeing the mish mash of fonts not displaying correctly, overlapping, etc. Your clients website visitors possibly will not experience the same problem unless they visit the site with the same regularity that you and your client do. After making changes I ask all my clients to clear their cache 'since the beginning of time', and explain that their clients will not experience the same issues. Keeps them happy, keeps me happy. I use Filezilla, which is suppose to eliminate having to do this by selecting "Overwrite if source is different or newer", but it doesn't eliminate all the problems.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Yes, it is very frustrating. As you know, developing websites takes a lot of work, and when it doesn't look right to a client who's paid a lot of money to have their website developed is even more frustrating.

I just made some updates to my own website and did what you said above with FileZilla [again] and it's still giving me these issues.

Is there any other work-around to confirm my clients that the website does infact look like how it is intended to look to reassure them I'm not lying to them?
    Some of them who have information on their website that changes daily are very concerned their customers are seeing the wrong or old information.

I'm not convinced that website visitors are not seeing this mish-mash of unpredictable content. If you test a website page on https://www.geopeeker.com/ I can view what visitors see it's not at all what they should be viewing.

Thanks for your assistance. Getting to the bottom of this is very important.

Marjorie, when you use GeoPeeker, you still need to consider you are using CloudFlare and are dependent on its propagation of new content and server caching, which takes time and could therefore just be showing the delay.

You could create a small update icon (Δ) as a repeating object on all pages with a faint transparency on the page edge with a link of
    javascript: window.location.reload(true);
    This would allow you to force a server refresh.

What you could then do is advise which site you have done this too here and we could immediately check and report back if it is visible.
    If it is then it is just local browser caching.

If it appears after a time we can let you know.
    Finally, as it is now available all subsequent updates would have this mechanism to force a refresh.
    Second finally, it might be possible to include this as a one off automatic refresh but there is no point until we know what we are dealing with.

Acorn