Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Followup on my last thread...

Hi, all. Well some of you know the trouble I was suddenly having with Xara Designer Pro 10 the other day. Thanks to the advice I got here, I was able to resolve the issue...mostly. The pen lines have stopped being laggy and slow - for the most part (while inking in something today, the pen suddenly got a little draggy again, dammit). But maybe that was just a symptom of the too-large pencil drawing I was trying to ink in (even though I'd reduced its size for further inking after the lag issues happened).

ANYWAY, two things have happened that are very weird: when I exported my inked outlines of the pencil drawing and opened them in Photoshop, the lines were all over the place - it was like the line art had exploded. I solved that by re-opening the Xara file that had the outlines, grouping them, and then exporting them again. This time when I opened them in Photoshop, they were all in place, all in one piece. The heck happened?

The second thing I've noticed is that whenever I close out of Xara, some of my desktop icons blink for a moment afterward. I don't recall them doing that before.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of the prior Windows 10 updates have messed with my computer/Xara somehow. Aside from Xara being a little slow to open, it's never been a problem to use. These issues just surfaced a couple of days ago. If you read my prior thread you'll see that I've done everything I thought of and was advised to do here. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what's going on? BTW, I have a practically brand-new computer - an HP Envy, with lots of memory, so I don't think it's the computer (although I'm no computer wiz). Thanks for any advice you all can offer!

Default Re: Followup on my last thread...

I would download a trial of the latest designer pro and see if that still has these issues

Also - what file format are you using to transfer to Photoshop, if it is PSD then as I recall there were some issues with XDPX ver 10 - try exporting single layers as PNG for example as a check

you use a tablet, what kind is it and are the drivers up to date for your new computer...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi, handrawn. Well, whenever I send a finished Xara file over to Photoshop I send it over in PSD format. I don't recall having any issues with doing that before now.

The tablet I use is a Wacom 21UX. And last night I uploaded the latest drivers for it from the Wacom site (even had a guy there help me with it via chat), so we'll see what happens...

when I do an export I always group first, that way I am sure I get the entire thing.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I 've re-read the other thread - lagginess could be caused by live effects plugins - particularly 32bit ones, that worked ok in 32bit xara but may not in 64bit; that should have been sorted out in current xara version[s]

also of course too many brushes loaded/created at once can cause performance issues
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I 've re-read the other thread - lagginess could be caused by live effects plugins - particularly 32bit ones, that worked ok in 32bit xara but may not in 64bit; that should have been sorted out in current xara version[s]

also of course too many brushes loaded/created at once can cause performance issues
    Hmmm...you know, I was using a brush that is not native to Xara - somebody here created them, and I downloaded them to Xara. Still, I'm not sure that's the issue.

Maybe I should download a more current version of Xara? I wonder how much that would cost...and which version should I use? I understand that the newer Xara versions have a magic lasso, which would be fantastic. Can you advise me on this? Thanks!

that would be magnetic lasso...

as you have designer pro 10 I guess you should download designer pro 16 and try that first - according to xara there is a new version 16.2 due out soon

there have been quite a few changes to the way things work since version 10, in particular the 'smart transform' which you may wish to disable at first [right click on the 'lock aspect ratio' padlock on the select tool infobar and untick it

the upgrade was about 89 GBP the last time I looked
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm not sure if this is related to ALL my troubles, but apparently Windows 10 likes to mess with Wacom's tablet driver. I got the error message "Driver Was Not Found" the other day when my pen was acting up and I tried to access Wacom's Tablet Properties to deal with it. I found this video that tells you how to fix that, which I'm posting here for other Wacom users:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6BFB&FORM=VIRE

I use a wacom 24 Pro - which is a later and slightly bigger version of yours, and uses the same unified wacom driver - 6.3.33-3 being the latest version for windows 10

It's true that windows updates and wacom drivers have historically played 'catch up' to an extent, but all I can say is that I have everything up to date and I have never had this issue; other issues such as pen offset in certain programs yes, but not this one - the drivers will not load if the tablet is not connected and switched on, but that is to be expected....

I hope you get it sorted one way or the other...
    Nothing lasts forever...

... there is a new driver out 3.3.34-3...
    Nothing lasts forever...