Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cloning objects

Default Cloning objects

So, I have this coin image with a little dropshadow. The coin itself is 6mm in diameter. I'm cloning it with drag+right click, and I want the clone to be smaller. So I go to the toolbar, enter 4mm in the width text box and press Enter... Oooops, my coin is smaller then what I expected. How come? Well, because after cloning both the object and its shadow are selected, thus manually entering a size affects both as a group. So, to have this right, after cloning I have to hit Esc (to unselect everything), then click the cloned object, and then alter its size.

May I ask to change this behavior?

By comparison - you see, when you click the shadow, it gets selected, which is reflected on the toolbar (the width and height text boxes display the shadow's dimentions), but - but - when you try to drag the shadow, the "main" object magically gets selected, which is of course reflected by the width & height text boxes.

So, I'd expect to have the "main" object selected after cloning (just as when you simply drag it around), not the object and its shadow.

I have another request regarding cloning. You see, I have this coin image with a dropshadow. It is right behind a text area (on the same layer). I want to clone it, and I want this clone to stay behind this text area. May I ask for a feature like, for example, holding Shift or Alt while cloning, that would place the cloned object right above its original, not on the very top?

Info Re: Cloning objects

Quote Originally Posted by morris View Post
    So, I have this coin image with a little dropshadow. The coin itself is 6mm in diameter. I'm cloning it with drag+right click, and I want the clone to be smaller. So I go to the toolbar, enter 4mm in the width text box and press Enter... Oooops, my coin is smaller then what I expected. How come? Well, because after cloning both the object and its shadow are selected, thus manually entering a size affects both as a group. So, to have this right, after cloning I have to hit Esc (to unselect everything), then click the cloned object, and then alter its size.
    May I ask to change this behavior?
    morris, I would have selected a scaling of 66.7% myself.

By comparison - you see, when you click the shadow, it gets selected, which is reflected on the toolbar (the width and height text boxes display the shadow's dimentions), but - but - when you try to drag the shadow, the "main" object magically gets selected, which is of course reflected by the width & height text boxes.
    But the shadow is not a shadow of its own being, it is a shadow of the object. Both are linked and the change of one necessarily forces a change on the other. Clone your object and add a feathering and a transparency with the needed shadow colour. Then you can alter scaling and other aspects like an envelope to reflect an undulating surface. Far more versatile.

I have another request regarding cloning. You see, I have this coin image with a dropshadow. It is right behind a text area (on the same layer). I want to clone it, and I want this clone to stay behind this text area. May I ask for a feature like, for example, holding Shift or Alt while cloning, that would place the cloned object right above its original, not on the very top?
    That's why the Page & Layer gallery and drag and drop is useful. Easy to use it flexibly and intuitively.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Cloning objects

if as I suspect, Morris is requesting that a cloned object be placed above it's source and not at the top of the layer stack, can I say +1

it is not fun dragging objects up and down the layer stack [in the layer gallery] all the time in a program that once claimed to be fast... [remember that... anyone]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am currently in a minority here but I find navigating sub-menus or multiple meta-keys for half-remembered options slower.
    Click-drag-drop is more in keeping with a drawing package.

Ctrl+k for Clone to top.
    Ctrl+Shift+k for Clone above.
    Ctrl+Alt+k for Clone under.
    Ctrl+Shift+Alt+k Clone to bottom.

?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I may have missed this answer but the shadow is taken into account when you reduce the size.

There is a similar problem when you add an outline around an object. If you add a 1px outline around the circle, it still shows the same size but it adds 1/2 the line width outside the shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	size.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	124043  

@ acorn - it may depend how big your stack is and how often you have to do it, and how well suchcommands are integrated into customisable keys

personally I could say it is more natural [in keeping] to draw freehand, but I'm not suggesting the program abandons the shape tool...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @ acorn - it may depend how big your stack is and how often you have to do it, and how well suchcommands are integrated into customisable keys
    personally I could say it is more natural [in keeping] to draw freehand, but I'm not suggesting the program abandons the shape tool...
    I am ambivalent over this but the correct direction Xara should be considering is setting up a macro control language so any repetitive task can be set up as a QuicKey.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    morris, I would have selected a scaling of 66.7% myself.
    That was just an example. If my "source" object was 0.65cm and I wanted the clone to be 0.36cm, I'd like to be able to set the size explicitly, not calculating the needed percentage first ;-)
    With the current cloning (or after-cloning, to be precise) behavior, it requires two additional mouseclicks, or a keypress and a mouseclick.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    But the shadow is not a shadow of its own being, it is a shadow of the object. Both are linked and the change of one necessarily forces a change on the other. Clone your object and add a feathering and a transparency with the needed shadow colour. Then you can alter scaling and other aspects like an envelope to reflect an undulating surface. Far more versatile.
    That was also just an example - to illustrate that shadow is treated a bit differently in dragging and cloning.

When you have an ellipse with a shadow and click (select) the shadow - the status line says "1 shadow". When you try to drag the shadow, the selection automagically jumps to the ellipse (watch the status line). That's fine.

Now, when you select this ellipse and clone it, you end up with two objects selected (see the status line - "2 objects"), while you'd expect only the cloned ellipse to be selected afterwards (well, at least I'd expect that).
    Last edited by morris; 07 May 2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo

Morris, remevetheshadow first and see my example
    I don't know but this is how I would go about it.

Attachment 124047
    Last edited by wizard509; 07 May 2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: no zttachment
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I don't know but this is how I would go about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple example .jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	124048
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.