Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How to create a line with a gradient fill

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrain View Post
    Hello Jonopen,

Thank you for your comment, as I am in the middle of discovering Xara, I suspected that I had missed something! I didn't pay attention to the "Edit Brush" button, I feel a little stupid! Repeat along stroke is the solution, thank you again for taking the time to answer, have a good day.Attachment 124115
    Your welcome, but never feel stupid, not on this forum . I've been using Xara Photo & Graphic Design for many years and I'm still discovering some of the things it can do. I think I tend to operate on a need to know basis. For example, I've still no idea what 'soft groups' are.

Changing the brush scaling settings can have quite a dramatic effect when using different brushes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artbrush.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	124125.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

The possibilities seem infinite by playing with the different settings available. I did some tests and the results are sometimes surprising, like the one of the screenshot attached to this message. It looked like sheets of paper of all colours, so I placed them in a sort of binder like there were before, to hide the rest of the brush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush_ circle.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	124127  

Lorrain - Glad to see you learning by doing stuff. If you use a thinner width rectangle for the rainbow fill, you can get a cleaner rainbow (if that is what you want).

I created an Art Brush and it works well except as I think you pointed out earlier, the unfortunate gap. But this can be remedied by taking the original brush shape, rotating 90 degrees, and covering the gap with the brush.

UPDATE: I tried the rainbow circle on a new page and it worked fine. No overlap. I also converted the circle to editable shapes first. Maybe that helped.

Name:	Art Brush.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	124128  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 22 May 2019 at 12:21 PM.

You have many of options for including inclinations, from straightforward implicit slopes to ones you make yourself. You can add inclinations to fundamental shapes and content boxes, just as shapes that are a piece of diagrams, SmartArt, and WordArt. You can rapidly apply preset angles, or you can make your own slope load up with custom hues and indicated splendor, straightforwardness, inclination bearings, and situating.

petrichone - I'll have to take your word on this. I have no idea what you just posted.

What is your relation to Signs New York? Are you an employee or a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    But this can be remedied by taking the original brush shape, rotating 90 degrees, and covering the gap with the brush.
    Thanks for the tip, it could be useful in some cases, if the method proposed by @Jonopen does not work for one reason or another.

I didn't find the way to precisely place the stops on a gradient to get a regular result, especially to perfectly superimpose two stops of different colors. I'm trying to do it now by zooming in as much as I can and using a ruler, but it's quite painful. There may be a function I couldn't find, for example, a percentage.

Name:	Gradient stops.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	124145  

Lorrain - Sometimes you need a different approach. In Xara there are always many ways to accomplish the same thing. This could be accomplished with overlapping circles. Or even with concentric rings with the Contour Tool

Name:	three circles.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	124147  

Lorrain - Sometimes you need a different approach. In Xara there are always many ways to accomplish the same thing. This could be accomplished with overlapping circles. Or even with concentric rings with the Contour Tool
    My observation was not specifically for the circle, maybe I should have opened a new thread! I was thinking about the curved lines on which the gradient must be regular all along, especially for gradients with different spacings between colors.

Name:	Gradient brush.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	124148  

Well then you have solved your own problem? Or something like this?

Name:	like this.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	124150  

Well then you have solved your own problem? Or something like this?
    Yes, but as I pointed out in my message, it's really painful and time-consuming to try to perfectly superimpose the stops of the gradient, I was just hoping that there was a more practical method that I wouldn't have seen!