Thread: old tech

Default old tech

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldtech.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	123993

which I was given as a present [second-hand]

it has been given, and still gets, a lot of use - every few years, as today, it needs taking apart and cleaning and piece of sellotape at top left second pic replacing [that is old tech ]

so what is it - not difficult I'm thinking... but bonus points for the make....and the year of manufacture [give or take a couple]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: old tech

Frankly I'm puzzled, handrawn, i was thinking it could be a calculator but the speaker doesn't seem right for that. then I thought it could be an electronic dictionary, or game. If it is a calculator I have no idea which one.(certainly not a TI) none of the ones I owned do not make a beep or any other kind of sound.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I would hazard a guess at Othello/Reversi around 1986, made by Digital.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It looks like it might have an 8 x 8 grid. Is it some kind of pocket chess game?
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

or game
    that it is larry

Othello/Reversi around 1986, made by Digital
    spot on with the date, but Othello/Reversi it is not

Is it some kind of pocket chess game?
    have a cigar Jono [you don't need to smoke it]...

anyone any idea of the make.....
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 May 2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: dyslex
    Nothing lasts forever...

1986 Kasparov Pocket Chess Electronic Computer Game

it was the 12 switches for the type of chess piece that threw me - I miscounted!
    The two banks of LED paired pins is the clincher.

I recall a very techie training course in 1984 where we were given parts of PCBs to determine original function.
    I think I even played against the beast in a shop in Gloucester and won. I thereafter shunned all computer games as not up to much.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

model is spot on.... but we still need the make... and as it's you, the chip number ....
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK.

Saitek Karparov MK 14 coach or SciSys Pocket Chess Model No. 114.

Chip is HD44868 with 5 kBytes ROM & 80 Bytes of RAM:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgB.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	124001

Hard to work out but I think your Serial # is A18345.

Name:	350px-PocketChess.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	124002

Acorn

almost a full house there, but as you say serial number not easy to guess...

Name:	pchess label.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	124010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pchess.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	124011

the top label that has mostly worn away was the QA: 'PASS OK'

I am impressed by how long it has lasted, the icons above the button strip have faded [and btw the photo above is pre-clean ], but the strip itself [neoprene?] is as good as new and apart from a slight crack in the cover it is fine - not bad for what I understand was 250 Fr when new and when such things were not cheap and this would have been an inexpensive model

I really like this device because on a challenging setting it can take hours to decide a move, so I am not tied to it when I should be doing other things; also I find it easier to think the move patterns as opposed to a flat screen [2 or 3D]

I understand that the program on the chip is by Julio Kaplan, but i have no verification of this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pchess chip.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	124009  
    Nothing lasts forever...

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/pocket_chess.html

What is fascinating is the shear volume of designs that erupted all in a decade.

Glad you still enjoy it,
    Acorn