Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Building a website from blank pages

Quote Originally Posted by carlj View Post
    You can use the prebuilt website it's easy to use.
    Which one is suitable for the OP?

Yes, the templates may provide a springboard but what is the point of us all having the same looking websites?
    Xara provides a flexibility that few other programs ever achieve.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Carlj, I do appreciate your suggestion but building a website from blank pages is perfectly suitable for my present needs. I have an old website that is with a known hosting company and I am just simply dragging, copying and pasting from my old website to the new blank pages. I want the new blank page website to look like my old because my customers are used to seeing it in its present profile. When I am done I'm going to republish it with the new hosting company I'm now signed up with. This way it will be my Xara built site and saved on my hard drives and to boot saving money. I am about 90% done with this blank page website and it looks a lot better using Xara compared to the old. You know, sometimes I use Xara pre-built website templates and only find myself tearing them down and rebuilding the way I see fit. Funny!!
    I could go on about how flexible Xara made it to just simply drag, copy and paste from one PC monitor or website to another. Amazing!!!
    Anyway, thanks for checking in.

90% finished? That's the time I usually decide I don't like it and start all over again

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    You know, sometimes I use Xara pre-built website templates and only find myself tearing them down and rebuilding the way I see fit. Funny!!
    again, elegantly put.
    I use the templates as examples of design options. I find it more satisfying to build a site up from nothing. When i have offered a templated approach to a client, you invariably like it, but, ... and the changes start to mount up.

Trust in your own designer skills and use the Xara Desktop application as the perfect tool to realise your vision.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, one thing I forgot to mention yesterday. When I'm completely done building with the blank page website i'll then make a mobile version from it and just resize. I don't like using the pre-built "R'' sites because I've had problems with sharing variances. Most of the time (this could be I don't know enough about the program yet) and even though I have sharing with variances on it doesn't always seem to share. So I just got in the habit of creating a website and then when it's completed create a mobile version and I find every thing is there right down to the last period. So it would seem I'm making my own tools that work and now I'm also finding other people in the group have their own good ideas that work for them.

again

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    90% finished? That's the time I usually decide I don't like it and start all over again
    Chris M, that's a positive sign of being a full blood perfectionist!!! Someone who discards all their labor but to seek perfect results for their customers.

Great group.

The old joke ( or the truth, more likely ) used to be that projects involving software spent 90% of their development time, 90% complete..

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Acorn, one thing I forgot to mention yesterday. When I'm completely done building with the blank page website i'll then make a mobile version from it and just resize. I don't like using the pre-built "R'' sites because I've had problems with sharing variances. Most of the time (this could be I don't know enough about the program yet) and even though I have sharing with variances on it doesn't always seem to share. So I just got in the habit of creating a website and then when it's completed create a mobile version and I find every thing is there right down to the last period. So it would seem I'm making my own tools that work and now I'm also finding other people in the group have their own good ideas that work for them.

again

Could you give us an example on the size, how you save it and upload to hosting company? Avoid duplicate content and how the screen size notices the mobile version and switches to that and back to desktop?

You can use an existing one or prebuilt site.