Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: repeating group

Default repeating group

I have a repeating group for the header throughout a site. It has three elements. Although it shows as a perfect unit on the working page, it goes up to Preview with only two of the elements showing. We have checked layers etc to the best of our amateur ability and can't see what's stopping it. I haven't published yet, and I assume that if it's not showing on Preview it's not going to show when it comes to publishing. I'd be grateful for any advice: as always it's probably something very obvious. Thank you.

Default Re: repeating group

Are all three objects on the same layer? If not is the missing one on a pop-up layer?

Have you just used Preview or examined the grouping in a real browser?
    Preview uses deprecated Internet Explorer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Are any of the objects 'Sticky'? I've had a surprised look on my face more than once when a sticky object makes another dissappear.

If you have objects in the header that are sticky, they must all be sticky or stick to top. You cannot mix and match.

Also, make sure the header on all pages (and you may have to do this page by page) are on top (Arrange > Bring to Front).

Thank you so far. I am looking at all the replies. Although not exactly what you have said, I think it is leading me onto the answer (I hope).

Thank you. My theory didn't work, so I am still puzzling. We're not using sticky

On another try - there are two websites, one a tenth of the size of the other, but both have exactly the same repeating header that I am talking about. The smaller one does the right thing - sends up the complete repeating header on preview, as well as being correct in its fully published state.

The larger website's repeating header - exactly the same - shows the missing element on the workspace but doesn't show it on Preview. I have tried all the other browsers. We have also gone through comparing the two settings and layers and everything else I can think of, and they seem exactly the same. I haven't yet sent the faulty site up for publishing, but the smaller site not only does the local publishing all right but is now up and running as a public website, all the time showing all the elements.
    If nothing changes I suppose we have to simply copy the header from the smaller website to the large one.

Would you be able to attach the .web/.xar for us to look at?

Thank you very much. My husband meanwhile as a temporary quick fix simply copied the same header from the smaller website and replaced them on the larger website, the one that was missing one element. This has temporarily solved the problem but we'll have to address it again later.
    I'm keen to get this all done asap, as it has had to hang on for a long time, and in fact I'm wondering how one finds people/firms locally that are expert in Xara who could be relied on. I maintained two websites with Dreamweaver for over ten years with no trouble and I thought going over to vector plotting would make the user interface simpler for whoever will take over the websites from me in the future. I don't think I've even got the real hang of it myself yet and am running out of patience a bit! I fear that I shall be back on the forum before long.

Quote Originally Posted by CK21 View Post
    Thank you very much. My husband meanwhile as a temporary quick fix simply copied the same header from the smaller website and replaced them on the larger website, the one that was missing one element. This has temporarily solved the problem but we'll have to address it again later.
    I'm keen to get this all done asap, as it has had to hang on for a long time, and in fact I'm wondering how one finds people/firms locally that are expert in Xara who could be relied on. I maintained two websites with Dreamweaver for over ten years with no trouble and I thought going over to vector plotting would make the user interface simpler for whoever will take over the websites from me in the future. I don't think I've even got the real hang of it myself yet and am running out of patience a bit! I fear that I shall be back on the forum before long.
    Please do come back.

Next time, consider offering up a bit more as guessing rarely works.

As the repeating group was only three elements, I would have copied & pasted as you have done but compare like for like to see what was different.
    Alternatively, I would have started from fresh.

Comparing Dreamweaver to a Xara desktop application is worse than chalk and cheese; Xara is effectively a layout tool with the ability to achieve lots under the hood without looking at code.

As with all such projects, the best advice is start small and goes into the toolset through practice.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for previous helps, all of which have set me on the right path.

I knew I would be back. My main website is nearly ready to publish for good but I'm finding that when publishing it to local hosting as I work with it and want to see what still needs doing, the pages
    (1) appear first of all in an unwanted font (Times NR) before changing slowly after a few seconds to the Verdana that it should be. Minor irritation.
    (2) Major irritation - the site is taking an incredibly long time to load, which would be quite unworkable for public view. Is it to do with size? I fear so. My similar site one-tenth the size is up and running normally. Is there any way round this apart from hiving off sections of the site into two or three parts - I forget quite how to do it but I know that is a possibility I could take up - but I think that after months if not years now I've almost lost the will to do all that.
    (3) Another major irritation - having carefully made sure there was no pasteboard background showing between header and page text, and proving by Preview that all was well, I find that when I publish to local hosting many of the pages do show the unwanted background. What is the secret? What is Preview for if it doesn't show in any browser how the page will look online?

I'm almost wishing I was back with Dreamweaver: I'm transferring to Xara to make things "easier" for my successor ......