Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Notre Dame

Default Notre Dame

What a terrible loss for France & the World
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Notre Dame

Yes. It's heart breaking.

I was there in the 80's. Incredible to see in person. Crazy to think its been around 800 years only to have this happen now.

I just saw the news all over the internet, this is heartbreaking.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Quite sad to think that it has stood for centuries, endured wars, and now it has been brought down by an accidental fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Terrible indeed, but if there can be good news in this situation, there is.

Fortunately the main fabric of the building seems to have survived as have a lot of the major parts of the building - the lovely windows.

Everything could have easily been lost, but in fact the damage is far less than originally feared.

Nobody would have wanted this to happen, but we can be glad it's not a lot worse than it was.

There are Cathedrals in the UK that have suffered similar fires in recent times and today you would never know.

Terrible as it is, a lot of good will arise from the reconstruction.

merde

the spire has gone but that is not the origiinal, it was rebuilt mid 1800's when major renovation was undertaken to restore the damage done during the french revolution, the previous spire having been taken down anyway because it had become unsafe

the timber roof has gone - but the towers are hopefully ok - much has been saved it seems but the structure will inevitably have been damaged

I am a great believer in 'trigger's broom';
    I just hope whoever is in overall charge of the restoration this time round is able to do it sensibly and with sensitivity, as before [je vous regarde, Macron]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

And there was no loss of life had the fire started earlier it could have been much different. It does appear from the photos that one set of windows high up near the roof is gone but many survived. It will be rebuilt and will continue to stand the test of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I can't believe this could happen