Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migrating rotation centre?

Hi.

I am puzzled but I am sure it will be obvious to you.

I have
    • drawn 2 circles, touching at the circumference.
      selected them both
      drawn a small box around the rotation centre (just so that I can see what is happening)
      ctrl-K
      rotated the 2 new circles by 10 degrees

and the rotation centre has moved. I do not undertand why.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (57).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	123874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (58).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	123875

Default Re: Migrating rotation centre?

Your combined selection is a rectangle and so the centre point will only align to the start at intervals of 90 degrees.
    Once you release the rotate-drag, your centre is offset.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you very much for yor reply but, I'm sorry, I don't understand it.

I used the rotation textbox (rather than dragging) but I don't suppose that makes any difference.

I thought if I rotated around a centre, the centre would be stationary. I have drawn a rectangle and rotated that and the centre seems to not move.

Humble apologies if I am missing something really basic (which I obviously am).

Just a minute! Maybe I do understand.

Is it because the shape is not completely symmetrical, the shape of the selection rectangle changes and, therefore, the centre changes?

It still seems strange to me though that rotating around a centre moves the centre. Is there a way to do what I am trying to do?

Thank you.

Hello PeterC,

If you draw a third circle encompassing the first two and group the assembly together, the center of rotation does not move during rotation. You can then delete the outer circle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotation center.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	123878

Welcome to TG Lorrian and an excellent answer
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here is a fuller explanation i did earlier: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-their-Centres.
    The Origin position control is applicable to your circles problem.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks very much for helping, Acorn and Lorrain. It is much appreciated.

Acorn, I posted my thanks before your last message arrived. That is very helpful. Thanks very much.

Thank you @Egg Bramhill for the welcome!
    I didn't find a place to introduce myself (maybe I didn't look hard enough). There's not much to say, I'm just an amateur and I'm starting with the software I bought a month ago. While browsing the forum I have already found answers to some of the questions I was asking myself.