Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Grid Tool?

As we've learned from a previous post, one tool CorelDraw has that's lacking in XaraX is a spiral shape. Now I've found another tool in CD that's missing in XaraX and that's the Graph Paper tool, which allows you to designate the number of rows and columns in your grid. I've attached a screen shot.

Anybody know a way of accomplishing the same effect in XaraX?

joroho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grid.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	4833  
    Wise men still seek Him.

As we've learned from a previous post, one tool CorelDraw has that's lacking in XaraX is a spiral shape. Now I've found another tool in CD that's missing in XaraX and that's the Graph Paper tool, which allows you to designate the number of rows and columns in your grid. I've attached a screen shot.

Anybody know a way of accomplishing the same effect in XaraX?

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

... is an easy way to get a graph-paper effect.
    1. Draw a rectangle the size of your graph.
    2. Convert-to-shapes & use Shape Editor tool to break it up into lines.
    3. Blend between opposite lines.

Easy as pie! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Karim

If you look at the result of Draws graph paper tool you'll see it nothing more than a group of rectangles ... it not a "live" object in the sense that you can change the number of rows or columns of an existing graph-paper object by entering parametric information. What Karim has suggested is really the samething but Corel as automated a couple steps.

You can also do a blend of rectangles.

OR Control-Drag and right-mouse release a rectangle's SIDE-selection-handle to created a series of side by side rectangles (a row) and then select those rectangles as a group and Control-drag and right-mouse release the group's TOP-selection handle to create a series of side by side by side rows.

The fast way is open DRAW, create your grid, save and open the grid in Xara.

You could always enable Snap To Grid, create a grid square then drag and drop the grid square to make your grid. But for some reason, Xara does not overlap the edges of the line, they butt on line beside the other.

I think this is John Clement's technique, I'm not sure, (if John does not claim it, I will) but here is the slow but accurate way to create a grid. (If Xara supported scipting you could easily make a script). Determine the size of your grid squares, let's say .25 inches. Set the horizontal offset distance in Page Options > General tabbed section to .25 inches. Set the vertical offset to 0.0 inches. Select the grid square and repeatedly press Ctrl D until you have your row of grid squares.

Switch the offset now to vertical -.25 inches and the horizontal offset to 0.0 inches. Press Ctrl D until you have enought columns of grid squares.

NOTE: You can create a generic grid and save it. The if you need a grid, use the existing one or resize it as needed. Hence a grid of square units if doubled in height becomes a grid of 2 to 1 grid units, etc.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...