Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: first mosaic

Hi everyone,
    Actually it's my first original painter pic, it's slow going for me. I'm one of those people that has to read the manual's, although I think I'm at the point that I will start using some of the wonderful tutorials that I have found on this site.

BTW thanks Athena for the "List of forum postings for Painter beginners" post, lots of great info.

One thing I could never get to work in Mosaic was the "Fill selection"(Painter 5.5). The most it would ever fill in was 3 rows (when trying to fill in the center of the sunflower). Although I decided that I liked the look of doing it by hand for this pic., I would like to know how to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Perth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunL3d.GIF 
Views:	360 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	17962  
    IP

Hi everyone,
    Actually it's my first original painter pic, it's slow going for me. I'm one of those people that has to read the manual's, although I think I'm at the point that I will start using some of the wonderful tutorials that I have found on this site.

BTW thanks Athena for the "List of forum postings for Painter beginners" post, lots of great info.

One thing I could never get to work in Mosaic was the "Fill selection"(Painter 5.5). The most it would ever fill in was 3 rows (when trying to fill in the center of the sunflower). Although I decided that I liked the look of doing it by hand for this pic., I would like to know how to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Perth
    IP

Hi Perth,
    Sorry that I can't help with your question but the topic has gotten me to playing with the Mosaic function. Should I stumble onto some thing that might help, I will let you know.
    Your comment regarding reading the manual causes me to think that at some point we all have to switch from Head Mode to Gut Mode. There is something to be said for both Knowledge and Feelings. I sort of lean more to the Gut Mode when I am working but you have to have some knowledge of what can be done and when to do it.
    Enjoy the trip.
    Greg.
    IP

Hi Greg,
    I look forward to getting into gut mode... unfortuntly I can be rather dense about computer programs, when I first started playing with painter there were times when I couldn't even get it to "paint"....
    Thanks for the reply, Perth
    IP

Hi all,

You guys/gals, and others recently mentioning Painter's Mosaic function.. have got me trying them again. Here's my website's new (one-page, so far) Mosaic section:

http://www.pixelalley.com/mosaics/mosaics-home.html

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I've just moseyed over here from the XaraX forum to take a look at what other people are up to. I'm going to have to take a look at Painter one of these days. There's some great effects you can create with it. Your mosaics reminded me of a Vesuvius exhibition I went to about 20 years ago and all those Roman artifacts just came flooding back, especially those virtually pristine floor mosaics from Pompeii.

Nice one!

--
    Big Frank was

http://www.wognum.org/files/madewithxarax.gif
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Hi Big Frank,
    Welcome to the Painter forum. Glad you stopped by.
    I hope you try Painter out, it's a real trip.

Greg.
    IP

wow this is great, frank. i hope you come around some more also. i'm looking forward to starting off my replies with 'Big Frank' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

stecyk66 (
    IP

Hi,

Forgot to mention that I've added about 4 new pages to the Mosaics section of my website. They're all background tiles made from small images and all but the main page were done from thumbnails in my Gallery section. That accounts for the peculiar titles.

I'm finding that it's fun to work with small images because they go so fast and it's surprising to see what variety comes from turning them into background tiles.

If you'd like to take a look:

http://www.pixelalley.com/mosaics/mosaics-home.html

Perth,

I've had the same problem filling selections and the only thing that seems to make it work (and not always) is to make the tiles smaller and the grout thinner so more rows can fit into the selection.

In my experience, the Mosaics feature is kind of clunky and often it takes a few tries to paint tiles and/or erase them. (Another reason working with tiny images is more satisfying, for me anyway.)

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Perth!

Another Xaran! Welcome to the painter forum!

(ummm yes my christmas cards are always late too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

I'm glad you liked the list... at least you got to it before the URL for the forums changed....(sigh) I'm going to have to fix all those links....well it has to be done.

and what I've been meaning to say for quite some time... I like that mosaic! (still have yet to try the mosaic feature [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) but I like how you did the flower. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Big Frank!

Cool site! Welcome to the Painter section of the TalkGraphics forums [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you get Painter you will love it! One of the coolest things I love about painter (yes stecyk I know you had a complete topic on this....and a completely entertaining topic too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) is that this digital program really will allow you to emulate the strokes that you would get if you took a real pencil and made a dramatic slash across the paper (with those lovely tapered edges on either end of the stroke). It is just a fun program.

Thanks for dropping by,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP