Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website Size That Has a Lot of Photos-Trying to make smaller

We have designed a theater website that seems to grow like crazy. We used the optimization tool for photos and have been able to get it down to 34mb. Have been trying to make it smaller so we can share on the XARA cloud but it was still saying it was to large. I reached out to XARA and they said it might be because of the memory. Finally changed the bottom image on the home page to just a box on another test site and it finally worked. As close as this was, I am concerned that if we add one thing that it will throw it over the size again.

Wondering if we shouldn't size down photos for the web in Adobe first and then add if that would help?

We also use head shots for the same people (ie actors, actresses) for different plays.

Is there a way in XARA to name the photo or just copy it and paste it where I need it to repeat so we are only using one photo instead of 3-4?

We love XARA and used to be a SERIF user where we could tell it to export to a certain folder and if we named it a certain name, I believe it used the same photo for resource when we did that.

Hope all that makes sense. Here is the link to the website that we designed. http://kcmeltingpot.com/

Thank you in advance

Info Re: Website Size That Has a Lot of Photos-Trying to make smaller

Quote Originally Posted by WebDeb View Post
    We have designed a theater website that seems to grow like crazy. We used the optimization tool for photos and have been able to get it down to 34mb. Have been trying to make it smaller so we can share on the XARA cloud but it was still saying it was to large. I reached out to XARA and they said it might be because of the memory. Finally changed the bottom image on the home page to just a box on another test site and it finally worked. As close as this was, I am concerned that if we add one thing that it will throw it over the size again.

Wondering if we shouldn't size down photos for the web in Adobe first and then add if that would help? No

We also use head shots for the same people (ie actors, actresses) for different plays.
    Is there a way in XARA to name the photo or just copy it and paste it where I need it to repeat so we are only using one photo instead of 3-4? Yes, use Utilities > Names and Name the image like filename="fredQuimbysJerry", with no file extension. Clone thereafter.
    We love XARA and used to be a SERIF user where we could tell it to export to a certain folder and if we named it a certain name, I believe it used the same photo for resource when we did that. There are ways to do this but see above.

Hope all that makes sense. Here is the link to the website that we designed. http://kcmeltingpot.com/
    Thank you in advance
    Some answers in-line.

You seem to have somehow duplicated content on-line:
    index.htm
    index.htm
    shows-tickets-and-support.htm
    shows-tickets-and-support.htm
    2121-cast-crew.htm
    2121-cast-crew.htm
    radio-golf.htm
    radio-golf.htm
    funnyhouse-of-a-negro.htm
    funnyhouse-of-a-negro.htm
    hollow-roots.htm
    hollow-roots.htm
    sunset-baby-cast-crew.htm
    sunset-baby-cast-crew.htm
    aint-no-such-thing-as-midnight-black-cast-crew.htm
    aint-no-such-thing-as-midnight-black-cast-crew.htm
    single-black-female.htm
    single-black-female.htm
    outreach-education.htm
    outreach-education.htm
    drama-time-video.htm
    drama-time-video.htm
    outreach-education-drama-time-sign-up.htm
    outreach-education-drama-time-sign-up.htm
    outreach-education-what-class-are-you-interested-in.htm
    outreach-education-what-class-are-you-interested-in.htm
    gallery.htm
    gallery.htm
    the-green-book-wine-club-train-trip.htm
    the-green-book-wine-club-train-trip.htm
    on-sight.htm
    on-sight.htm
    stories-on-the-bus.htm
    stories-on-the-bus.htm
    next-of-kin.htm
    next-of-kin.htm
    gallery-on-shoulders-now.htm
    gallery-on-shoulders-now.htm
    about-us.htm
    about-us.htm
    contact.htm
    contact.htm
    contact-mailing-list.htm
    contact-mailing-list.htm
    home-page-more-nicole.htm
    home-page-more-nicole.htm
    I have no idea if the 1,311 images are also duplicated, though I do suspect so.

A 34MB design file is no real biggie so it not loading into ?Xara Cloud? is not your failing but possible the duplication. What are you trying to "share" as Xara Cloud is definitely not suitable for website development (lack of layers, no control over Placeholders and other fundamental snafus)

I would need to understand how you are publishing the site before any more help can be offered.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Website Size That Has a Lot of Photos-Trying to make smaller

Acorn - Do you think those duplicate pages might be for Variants and/or Retina size photos? Probably not because they would have names that reflected this. Or would they?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn - Do you think those duplicate pages might be for Variants and/or Retina size photos? Probably not because they would have names that reflected this. Or would they?
    Gary, variants are simply DIV in the same HTML file so no. The Variant is simply hidden as the browser is resized when one of the others is made visible.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Is there a way in XARA to name the photo or just copy it and paste it where I need it to repeat so we are only using one photo instead of 3-4?
    As long as you're not using variants, which you don't seem to be at present, you can. With the image selected, click on the name tag Name:  export.png
Views: 187
Size:  1.1 KB and give it the name "filename=my-pic" without the speech marks.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host