Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Best way to scale a floor plan with grid and ruler?

Hello everyone,

I am using Xara designer pro X11, i know Xara is not designed for such a purpose but i am trying to sketch draw a floor plan and scale it to 30.1m x 17.2m, i've tried to modify the grid and ruler major spacing to 1 cm with 10 number of subdivisions and then drew my plan considering every 1mm as a meter but the final draw was up to 1% of an A4, then i considered every 0.5 cm a meter and enlarged my plan, then added guide layers to every major spacing but the larger i was zooming the more distant i was finding the layers from the accurate spacing number and then adjusted them manually, but couldnt even guess where to place accurately the 10cm and the 20cm remaining of each axis.(30.1m x 17.2m)

Layering, snaping to object and numbering manually take a lot of work and time, any better ideas to draw such a floor plan ?
    How to insert the guide layers accurately on every major spacing or subdivision?

Thank you for your support.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Info Re: Best way to scale a floor plan with grid and ruler?

Set up the page as follows: A3 Portrait, Snap to Objects, Page > Scaling > Scale factor:1 to 100, Page > Units: Metres, Page > graid: Major: 5m/Minor: 5 subdivisions; Window > Show grid; Window > Bars > Rulers.
    Create box 17.2m x 30.1m, light Fill, thin Line width.
    Snap to major Grid point on page.

Create a new Layer.
    Create a red Fill 1 x 1m box and snap to the top left.
    Right-click drag drop on bottom right corner (diagonal down) and repeat or clone a number of boxes until you reach the right side.
    Flip back and repeat until the bottom is reached.

Creates a new "Boxes" layer.
    Click on the top Ruler and drag a Guide until it snaps onto a top of a red box. Repeat for all boxes.
    Click on the left Ruler and drag onto the left edge of a red box. Repeat for all boxes.

Example: FloorPlan.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Best way to scale a floor plan with grid and ruler?

This might work as I've recently done a quick scaled floor plan for a small office (see attached screenshot below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	room-plan.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	123847

The settings I used were:

Grid and ruler settings:
    Major spacing = 10cm
    Subdivisions = 10

Page scaling:
    1mm to 1cm

In your case these settings will make quite a large page size for your 30.1m x 17.2m plan (3010cm x 1720cm), although to print you can easily export to PDF then use fit to page print option.

Name:	scaled-drawing-screenshot.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	123852

Note:
    The selected shape shows the correct size of 100x100cm (1m x 1m) in the context toolbar.
    I also relocated the 0,0 point to make the rulers line up with the walls (each major division = 10cm)

See example attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Sorry for answering late, thank you so much Acorn for your time and help, didnt know Xara has those options, that's amazing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    This might work as I've recently done a quick scaled floor plan for a small office (see attached screenshot below).

Name:	room-plan.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	123847

The settings I used were:

Grid and ruler settings:
    Major spacing = 10cm
    Subdivisions = 10

Page scaling:
    1mm to 1cm

In your case these settings will make quite a large page size for your 30.1m x 17.2m plan (3010cm x 1720cm), although to print you can easily export to PDF then use fit to page print option.

Name:	scaled-drawing-screenshot.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	123852

Note:
    The selected shape shows the correct size of 100x100cm (1m x 1m) in the context toolbar.
    I also relocated the 0,0 point to make the rulers line up with the walls (each major division = 10cm)

See example attached.
    Thank you Jonopen for this option too !!

Quote Originally Posted by gaftalik View Post
    Sorry for answering late, thank you so much Acorn for your time and help, didnt know Xara has those options, that's amazing !!!
    Lots of time spent reading the manual.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat