Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default object won't flip

I'm trying to get an object to flip and I don't understand why it won't. I've tried copying it but the copy won't flip. I suspect this has to do with the changes in object handling in the newest version of Pro, but whatever it is, I need to just flip a little piece of filigree in order to finish a job by morning.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: object won't flip

Flips OK for me
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

The same here. Perhaps a program restart could sort things out.

I suspect you're trying to flip using the resize handles. Try using the buttons on the menu bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flip.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	123826

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    I'm trying to get an object to flip and I don't understand why it won't. I've tried copying it but the copy won't flip. I suspect this has to do with the changes in object handling in the newest version of Pro, but whatever it is, I need to just flip a little piece of filigree in order to finish a job by morning.
    With version 16 onwards of Designer Pro, you need to right click on "Aspect Ratio", and deselect "Smart Transform". If "Smart Transform" is enabled, then the flip buttons do not do anything to the selected image when pressed.

I tried the above with your file and deselecting "Smart Transform" allowed me to flip the image.

Thanks!!! I've been using Xara for perhaps 15 years and never even knew about right clicking on the Aspect Ratio lock. That did the job. It also solved some other problems I was having with resizing. I was getting ready to delete the program and reload thinking something had become corrupted. I really appreciate the help.

Unless I'm missing something (highly likely) there appears to be a lot of inconsistency revolving around the 'Smart transform' button.

Using charliescoffee example .xar with Smart Transform enabled or disabled and the Selection Bounds selected or unselected, I can flip the image without issue.
    I've tried it in WDP 16.1 and my friends XDP 16.1.

The only time I can make it fail to flip is when I try to do so using the resizing handles, and even then I have to have both Smart Transform turned off AND the Selection Bounds selected.

It's been a confusing week for me, I might just have to do a factory reset on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Unless I'm missing something (highly likely) there appears to be a lot of inconsistency revolving around the 'Smart transform' button.
    Using charliescoffee example .xar with Smart Transform enabled or disabled and the Selection Bounds selected or unselected, I can flip the image without issue.
    I've tried it in WDP 16.1 and my friends XDP 16.1.
    The only time I can make it fail to flip is when I try to do so using the resizing handles, and even then I have to have both Smart Transform turned off AND the Selection Bounds selected.
    It's been a confusing week for me, I might just have to do a factory reset on myself.
    Chris, we have a Mega-Thread just for you - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...299#post603299, all 184 Posts of confusion, rancour and disquiet.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, been there, read (a lot) of that.

Never mind, I don't understand my wife either and I still love her too.

Very entertaining thread, it would be really funny, but it is unfortunately all true.
    MagiXara is very fortunate to have such a loyal and wise band of followers.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.