Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default ECW Ariel Photo Viewer

I have a customer (tech, not graphic) who has a 2GB map in an ECW file. IrfanView is said to open the extension, but throws an error. We tried a 600MB file and the same error.
    It's a one off job, so I'm thinking it may be easier to find different software rather than troubleshoot the error, which doesn't give any info on what the error is related to.

Does anyone have any experience with this extension and such a large file?

The file is a detailed map of Australia from the Aus governments website if anybody is curious.

Default Re: ECW Ariel Photo Viewer

I think perhaps SketchUp with extension may open the file Chris. Not a piece of software I use much.

Applications that support the ECW file extension for images include Adobe Photoshop 4.0 and 7.0, AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation, ERDAS IMAGINE and other software from the company, ArcGIS, and others.
    https://extensions.sketchup.com/sv/content/cityeditor-2
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: ECW Ariel Photo Viewer

Thank you both.

I found a similar list of programs that handle the file extension but I'm concerned over the size of the file. Opening 2GB in an image viewer seems a big ask to me. I was hoping someone had done so before and could pinpoint a particular method.

I shall play the good guy and grab a bunch of software for him to try. I doubt he'd want, or need, to pay me to try them one by one. He's also email the gov. to ask the same question, but I think it unlikely he'll reach anyone who actually uses those files.