Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Can't get ANY page counter to work....

This is SO frustrating! I have been at this for HOURS, have tried several different web counter sites, and the widget from Xara as well.

Everything looks good as far as I can tell, but when I look at the source it's not there!

Can someone please help me. I'm at my wits end! I can't figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using these instructions!! from the desktop support site...

HOW DO I CREATE A PLACEHOLDER IN XARA?
    A Placeholder is an object in Xara Web Designer which you replace with another embedded object. A Placeholder can be replaced with HTML Code, a Flash file or another graphic file. This allows you to embed a great number of services directly in to a Xara Web designer web page, such as Google Adsense, videos, maps, album slideshows and thousands of other available services and widgets.

Creating a Placeholder with the Rectangle tool

Select the Rectangle tool and draw a rectangle in your document.
    Set the width and height of the rectangle to be the dimensions of the external object you wish to insert in to your web page
    You can now position the rectangle and apply the code provided by the widget provider to the rectangle via Web Properties | Placeholder tab.
    Enable Re-generate placeholder image automatically to display the generated code.

http://www.thsgw.com
    Last edited by pjiv; 29 March 2019 at 09:25 PM.

Default Re: Can't get ANY page counter to work....

A placeholder is just a simple object. Usually a rectangle made with the Rectangle Tool.

With the rectangle selected, and the code copied to the clipboard (Ctrl + c), go to the Placeholder tabbed section in Web Properties.

Click on the appropriate button, either Body if the code goes in the body section or Head if the code goes in the Head section.

Paste your code in the box and click OK and then click Apply.

I have not used one of these counters in a long time so I am not sure if this will show up in preview or if you have to publish the page first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeholder.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	123790  

I have done this, and published the site, and it does NOT show up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-29.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	123791

OK. Well let's see if someone else has a suggestion. That's all I can think of,

Thank you for your reply. I have no hair left I even resorted to contacting support but I'm less than hopeful on getting any help from them.

If you could post the code as text in a reply that would help in checking.

You appear to have inputted the code correctly into a Placeholder object.
    If it is not on the MouseOff or MouseOver Layers and instead in a layer that is not linked to and you have hidden then it will not be published.

Create a new design file with just the Placeholder object and its code and upload to TG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn - I tried the counter included in the Content Catalog, configured it for my personal website, and published the page and it still shows as a broken image and links directly to the page of the source of the counters! I removed it from my page. I wonder if there is something about these counters, which are old code that does not work with today's browsers?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn - I tried the counter included in the Content Catalog, configured it for my personal website, and published the page and it still shows as a broken image and links directly to the page of the source of the counters! I removed it from my page. I wonder if there is something about these counters, which are old code that does not work with today's browsers?
    Gary, I have just tried the "ReliableCounter" [sic] widget and if you visit its website, http://www.reliablecounter.com/, you will find that its own trumpeted visit counter is defunct.

Either the server i down or the service is dead; it is not a xara matter other than Xara failing to monitor such widget offerings itself.

I have just picked http://www.hitwebcounter.com/ at random, copied the generated code and put that into a box > Placeholder > Html code (body) and that worked immediately.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have just picked http://www.hitwebcounter.com/ at random, copied the generated code and put that into a box > Placeholder > Html code (body) and that worked immediately.
    pjiv - Try the one Acorn just listed.

I've moved this thread to Xara Web Design Chat