Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Publishing problems

I contacted my hosting company and was unable to make live my website. I believe I filled out the publish dialog box including other web host settings. Am I doing everything right in the screenshot? I filled out the other web hosting settings dialog box and click okay but did not get a confirmation. I then opened it back up and click Explore Web Pace button and filled in the password and then getting an error dialog box. Can someone guide me through this please?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA21.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	123781

Default Re: Publishing problems

My guess, because your screen shot is too small for my tired old eyeballs, is you have to add a sub-directory, something like /public_html or some such. Ask your web host if you need to publish your files to a sub-directory. Most web hosts do this.

For now never mind that because there's another way I can upload. I call my hosting company and I'm able to drop my save as file into the cPanel. When I did so with my hosting Company tech support on the phone with me the file would not upload because I don't know how it was saved. They need to know what's file extension it is "save as" or "read as". Do you know the answer to this question.

You can't save your XAR or WEB file to the web host because this is the working file. Not the HTML files needed to get your site on-line.

What you can do is File > Export Website and save to a folder on your desktop. Then upload the contents of the folder (including the sub-folder index_htm_files) to the web host.

But this is a bother when you can publish directly from Xara and make changes quickly instead of having to upload all these files each time.

Who is your web hosting company? I can check their website and see if I can determine the sub-folder you need to publish to.

I would greatly appreciate that! My hosting company is Inmotion Hosting. http://inmotionhosting.com

Thank you so much!!

I visited their site and all I can see is they require a path to your Joomia files which is not at all the same as the standard HTML files that Xara and most web design programs create.

I sent support there an email and referenced this thread and asked if they can respond directly here.

If I hear anything back from them I will post it here.

I took a look at the hosting companies site and under FTP in the Support Center it states that your main files are located in a directory called public_html. So it should be your domain name/public_html to upload your files to.

Ray

Well done Ray. I missed that.

So enter public_html in the Sub-folder box, and try publishing again and see if this works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	123788  

gwpriester, What a great group we have here!!! I was able to upload it to Inmotion Hosting thanks for your instructions but the only hold up right now is that ENOM dot com's admin servers are down. You see, I need to have them point my domain name to Inmotion's servers and once that's completed my website will be online. I hope I don't have to bother you guys anymore but as soon as I know today or tomorrow I'll let you know immediately. They said once it happens it will need from one hour to 24 hours to propagate.

Thanks for being there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well done Ray. I missed that.

So enter public_html in the Sub-folder box, and try publishing again and see if this works for you.
    Thanks for the screenshot. Next week I'll be publishing another website and I'll plug in the (public_html). Imagine that, a little thing like that. Thanks again for your time and effort!!!