Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

wow - I just got back from Liverpool and a pint of Doombar in a [admittedly not typical but 'traditional'] city centre pub cost me £2.35, and I thought my local at £2.90 was cheap.. I had a few

where we you... not Cambridge I'm thinking because I know pubs there you wouldn't get much change from £20 for one beer and cheese on toast .. reckon London's cheaper
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

5 quid (I don't have a pound sign and too lazy to look for the ALT code) a pint! That's more than the flight to Leeds Bradford. Pub crawl cancelled.

@handrawn: circular argument? Who, what, where, when? Not even sure I know what it means to be honest.

cirticular

you may not find it in the dictionary - jargon [or possibly Carrol, Lear, or Joyce.. et al ]

in this case: an argument which says that you don't have to do the right thing because it is too difficult, and in any case no one else is doing it

Nothing lasts forever...

Ah. I presume you are referring to the law makers finding it too hard to find a workable solution so they just hand the responsibility of an impossible job over to someone else?

I rest my case
    Nothing lasts forever...

A quick and small fry example of how the law can amplify a current problem of innovation stifling. Several years ago my son did a remix of the Rhianna/McCartney/West track, Four Five Seconds. The acapella was officially released and everything was above board. My son unleashed his effort on several YouTube channels that cover dance tracks and club music.

Within a few weeks he was informed by each and every one that his track had been removed due to a copyright claim from another artist/agency/official. Cutting a long story short, the claim came from a small recording studio who had an artist that also released a remix using the same official acapella. This artist was further along on his journey than my son and wanted exposure. He gained the exposure by having an agent that systematically removed as much opposition as possible. YouTube, SoundCloud and Beatport were all asked to remove other people's tracks which cleared the path to hits for the agents artist.

It's the reverse side of the whole problem and made worse by laws such as this. A platform will be quick to remove even a false hit to cover their hides.

Listen to this carefully, because [as the saying goes] I shall say it only once:

I write for a living
    My other half is a PhD academic

One thing we have to deal with all the time is those who [unfortunately] had the good idea we just had, first

Now it is true in both writing and in music and in art that everyone steals from is inspired by others - ideas are not copyright, but treatment is

I have no idea how close the treatment your son gave was to the previous so I cannot comment, but at the end of the day if you disagree, you appeal.. that is life; shit happens

now I feel the pubs are open here and I have need of a drink some networking

good luck, but remember... misuse of a law does not [necessarily] make it a bad one.. same way as 'guns don't kill' - right?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Fair enough. I shall bow down and do as I'm told because that's how I've been told it works.

Just to correct your dismissal of having content removed as being a minor hiccup. It takes a lot longer than you may think to appeal. Also you imply that maybe the agent was acting in good faith. The acapella was released with the specific intention of remix/sampling, it wasn't just bad timing. I stated that at least 3 high profile platforms and other artists were targeted, it should be obvious that it wasn't somebody (agent) being mistaken.

Look up false copyright claims on YouTube one day. It isn't as strict and regimented as you appear to think it is.

not an allo allo fan then maybe you don't have it in aus

i refer you to line 2 of my first post - i know where you are coming from, i understand where you are coming from, i just don't agree it is the greater argument

sorry for being being heavy i was not meaning to tell you to do anything and presumeably if you feel as strongly as i do, you too have been active from your perspective...

no disrespect; no worries
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    wow - I just got back from Liverpool and a pint of Doombar in a [admittedly not typical but 'traditional'] city centre pub cost me £2.35, and I thought my local at £2.90 was cheap.. I had a few

where we you... not Cambridge I'm thinking because I know pubs there you wouldn't get much change from £20 for one beer and cheese on toast .. reckon London's cheaper
    I know a few Cambridge pubs (and their prices) like the Cambridge Blue and its amazing selection of ales, but alas no, this was in a sleepy local pub in Eastbourne when we were visiting friends. It was for a pint of Birra Moretti and pint of Harvey's - a nice tasty local bitter from Lewes, East Sussex.

I've actually recently relocated (emigrated!) up north from the Brighton area and now live about 20 miles from Hull. I think my local prices are similar to yours, although I've not actually sampled a local pub yet. (I'll have to do some research!)
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022