Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

you'd be lucky to buy beer at 16 now ID or no ID, got to be 18 legally

would that be a paisley ben sherman shirt, I believe I saw a photo of one once.. bit late '60s I'm thinking.. still brutus jeans might be a slight more practical than velvet oxford bags[*] which were also in the photo....

[* for the avoidance of doubt - these are a kind of trouser]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

ah Malton way Paul - and you'd be handy for Castle Howard and the Howardian Hills as well as the Kirbymoorside [and the moor] to the north

very nice places to walk
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oxford bags. I can think of several meanings for Oxford bags, not all complimentary Yes the Brutus would have been Oxfords but the Sherman had to be checks or it wasn't cool. Levi Stay-press were another must have.

I've added a photo to show the beauty and wonderment of Yorkshire life, hope TG doesn't get fined for an inadvertent use of copyright by one of it's users :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70s.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	123805

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ah Malton way Paul - and you'd be handy for Castle Howard ...
    Indeed. We visited there with our small children. We decided we'd go for a walk around the grounds (outside the actual grounds) then go inside, so we parked a little distance away and set off around Howard but outside the official grounds. Then we got to the front part of Castle Howard and were rather naughty - we could just walk up a small bank, over a tiny fence and straight into the grounds. That's what we did. We spent our entrance money on an afternoon tea.

Other escapes - doing the tourist thing: catching the steam train then getting off at Goathland and then walking to Grosmont. Walking along old Roman roads, worried about adders under the stones in parts. Flamingoland when it was still relatively undeveloped. York, Scarborough, Whitby - fantastic place for family holidays.

I hope Malton hasn't changed since I was there last.

Don't worry TG community, Yorkshire advertising is now stopped..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    We Aussie's are an honest bunch. Ned Kelly was an outlier and doesn't count.
    You can't be picky who counts and who doesn't! According to Wiki he's a celebrated Australian national icon.

Small world - Amotherby, lovely village, nearly lived there once, and drove through it a couple of weeks ago on my way to Thirsk! And I used to wear Brutus jeans (now it's cheap sweatshop stuff from Asda!).

Hmm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exif-data.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	123806
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Joking and nostalgia aside, I pulled that photo off a sub reddit. There was no credit to the photographer, no watermark, no copyright notice. How is the average user supposed to know what is, and what isn't public domain?

Jonopen clearly knows how to check the exif, but a dolt like me that just wants to amuse himself on a forum thread wouldn't do that...and I didn't. Now seriously, with Article pick-a-number, who does the photographer aim at?

you broke the forum rules Chris [though you may not remember them if you ever read them] - whether you think that a technicallity or not, TG are laible, should the photographer, were they ever to find out / care and persue it go after them - and that was always so before the new legislation

The problem is, Google don't think of themselves as 'publishers' - TG do [and they are]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've disgraced the whole nation of Australia by posting a photo clearly taken in the late 70s/early 80s

This is where I think the system as a whole needs a reboot. Common sense says that Joe Public is going to be clueless when it comes to photos on the 'Net as it is now. They (me) will be putting equally clueless providers (TG) in the firing line. Instead of simply passing a law that basically says 'if a car is used in a robbery, then the showroom is responsible' they should look into a better way of saying 'hands off'. No, I don't have any ideas or suggestions, but I do know that, logically, neither myself nor TG are responsible; and neither is Reddit. It's hard to say who would have been first to knowingly distribute the photo, and it would be impossible to find out now, 40 years later. It is, however, a ridiculous notion to run around fining every platform it's been on.

Artwork, movies and music are easier to identify (not so much cartoons though...I'll have to ponder more on that) but photos are extremely hard to tell if they're professional or just a lucky one off, especially with today's cameras that can be set to Awesome-No-Matter-What mode.

It's a very tricky problem. I think we should all meet at the Cross Keys in Thirsk and discuss this over a pint and a bag of Pork Scratchings. Jonopen's first round because they ratted me out.

not a fan of cirticular arguments, I currently get more than my fair share in the Brexit

@Paul - we use to go to Castle Howard as kids; last time I was there last summer the grounds were free, or at the very least, freely accessible - there are public rights of way that always made it awkward from a charging point of view anyway - you can stop feeling guilty [if you ever did ]

Malton is bigger; there is a bypass; new housing estates and service road construction made it a place to aviod if possible when travelling across the Pickering Vale the last 12 months or so, but that means going the long way round - pretty though.. when we were kids a lot of the back roads still had streams running over the road rather than having bridges... or conduits
    Last edited by handrawn; 02 April 2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: kids - kin -tis all familly
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sorry about that! (the ratting business) I've just strolled in and I'm at the bar waiting to put things right. The open fire is roaring and there's a great warm atmosphere (smoky, foody, beery aroma).

Even further off topic, but I haven't bought a pint in a pub for quite few years until the other day. Two pints £10.15 (18.72 AUD) - What!!! I gave the barman a tenner thinking I might have enough for another round later, but when he asked for the extra 15p it dawned on me how much prices have changed. The beer was lovely but...
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022