Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Chris I have to agree with Boy re practical solutions

I never had any issues with the UK PRS system myself...

Cliff
    That's the point. Those particular Article laws are NOT practical. Nobody has the tech to police the delivery of data to that degree. Google is a leader, if not THE leader in this type of thing and they've continually stuffed up with their policing on YouTube. Soundcloud lost literally thousands of subscribers when Universal jumped in and the ban hammer was wielded with abandon. You may be looking at it from a purely personal perspective and not how it affects a lot of others from reviewers to cover artists to comedians. Where does it stop?

These 2 articles have simply shifted the problem from one place to another. The small and individual copyright holders will still be floundering, but the large agencies have been handed some heavy artillery. An example is the recent banning of a YouTuber (forget his name) who had a pretty large channel, was monetised and doing very nicely reviewing movies. He gave a poor review of the latest Marvel movie and was hit with a strike...the good reviews stayed. He contested and was hit again. He had no choice but to bow down or lose his channel and income. There are plenty of stories with the same outcome. It's given large corporations the power to decide what is posted.

Let me state once again that I'm not in favour of piracy, but I'm not in favour vigilantes either. Frying pan and fire, and I fear the fire is way larger than the frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    You may be looking at it from a purely personal perspective and not how it affects a lot of others......
    Hell no, I am surely looking at it from the point of view of a lot of others - those who have a legal right to their copyright being protected - can you give me a good reason why their right is less important?

big business - I love it, no bias from me; without google and micrsoft to name but two, big businesses both, my life would be very difficult; google and other social media just have to work with governments to find solutions - and they will once it eats into their bottom line - I don't share your pessimism, but then I probably [guessing here] work a lot closer to them than you do....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Europeans creating problems when there aren't any. Pfft, Ben Hall, sounds like a European name anyway, bet he wasn't an Aussie at all. One of those ten quid Pommies or criminal thingos you dumped on our best surfing beaches. Nope, we Aussies are as clean as those chimney's you lot used to stuff small children up in 2015 or some such time.
    And I thought you were such a friendly guy!

Ben Hall??? Never heard of hm. He was just another outlier anyway. Europeans creating problems when there aren't any. Pfft, Ben Hall, sounds like a European name anyway, bet he wasn't an Aussie at all.
    Right, I guess you must be of indigenous descent if everyone else is an outlier.

I'm not sure that you'd approve of anyone not of indigenous descent.

We live in the world that we have, for good or for bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Right, I guess you must be of indigenous descent if everyone else is an outlier.

I'm not sure that you'd approve of anyone not of indigenous descent.

We live in the world that we have, for good or for bad.
    I was born in the UK and spent 30 years there. The same 30 years that North Yorkshire was a great example and leader to the rest of the Britain. 0% crime, 0% unemployment, prosperity and peace. Near utopia Yorkshire was. When I arrived in Brisbane the Aboriginals immediately accepted me and we, at last, became a unified nation. Unfortunately, large fires that simultaneously started in the local record departments of both Brisbane and Sheffield have destroyed proof, but I can assure you it's a true story.

My reference to chimney's just shows that what seemed like a good idea to solve a problem at the time, may not seem so good when you calculate the cost to others. Happened in the past? How about sugar cane cane workers, clothing factories and cocoa production? Big business is good? The Sackler's Oxycontin, Skerelli, the Panama papers, Fox News....most big media if it comes to that.

I have to have a break now, my high horse is getting tired of perching on the soap box that's balanced on the roof tops.

Erm... actually I'm a Yorkshireman - my family originally came from York - I stll have relatives Thirsk way, but I was born on the coast, south of Whitby

Sheffield? - lived there for three years - ah but then I was young and had never heard of Nick Clegg [now doing sterling work for Mr Zuckerberg or so we are to believe...]

Brisbane? - slightly too hot and humid for me I'm thinking - last time I was in the waterlilly house at Kew a lady was heard to remark that it was just like a normal day in Sydney - drenched with sweat and trying desperately to keep hold of my phone that was slipping all over, after only 45 seconds in, I decided to stay clear of such uncivilised foreign places - so far so good

Last edited by handrawn; 01 April 2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: that would be sydney - just before you pull me up on it - spelling ha!
    Nothing lasts forever...

I was born in the UK and spent 30 years there. The same 30 years that North Yorkshire was a great example and leader to the rest of the Britain. 0% crime, 0% unemployment, prosperity and peace. Near utopia Yorkshire was. When I arrived in Brisbane the Aboriginals immediately accepted me and we, at last, became a unified nation. Unfortunately, large fires that simultaneously started in the local record departments of both Brisbane and Sheffield have destroyed proof, but I can assure you it's a true story.

My reference to chimney's just shows that what seemed like a good idea to solve a problem at the time, may not seem so good when you calculate the cost to others. Happened in the past? How about sugar cane cane workers, clothing factories and cocoa production? Big business is good? The Sackler's Oxycontin, Skerelli, the Panama papers, Fox News....most big media if it comes to that.

I have to have a break now, my high horse is getting tired of perching on the soap box that's balanced on the roof tops.
    I'm really pleased that you've found your place. I love Yorkshire but it's not the great heaven that you portray.

You may be on a high-horse but I have no idea where it's heading. It's definitely wasted here and may be more of a shetland pony than a great steed.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I love Yorkshire but it's not the great heaven that you portray.

did you hear of the yorkshireman who dropped his aitch from Halifax
    found it again in his wine

Nothing lasts forever...

Wandering off topic (which I think we did around post 3) Thirsk you say. I have very fond memories of the Black Bull, 47 Sowerby Road, the Beck and the White Horse of Kilburn. Funny how I can remember the Black Bull, but not the name of the young lady that made it so memorable in the first place. The good old days when you didn't need 3 different forms of ID to buy a pint of John Smiths as a 16 year old.

Hanging out at the clock in the market square looking totally cool in my Brutus jeans and Ben Sherman. Nan lived there, hence the many holidays before I was old enough to wander the hallowed grounds of Manchester airport looking for last minute flight deals to somewhere exotic like Benidorm or Corfu.

I'm not from Yorkshire but we had very happy family holidays there, did a lot of walking and only happy memories. We stayed in a guest house in Amotherby.