Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

Wandering off topic (which I think we did around post 3) Thirsk you say. I have very fond memories of the Black Bull, 47 Sowerby Road, the Beck and the White Horse of Kilburn. Funny how I can remember the Black Bull, but not the name of the young lady that made it so memorable in the first place. The good old days when you didn't need 3 different forms of ID to buy a pint of John Smiths as a 16 year old.

Hanging out at the clock in the market square looking totally cool in my Brutus jeans and Ben Sherman. Nan lived there, hence the many holidays before I was old enough to wander the hallowed grounds of Manchester airport looking for last minute flight deals to somewhere exotic like Benidorm or Corfu.

I'm not from Yorkshire but we had very happy family holidays there, did a lot of walking and only happy memories. We stayed in a guest house in Amotherby.

you'd be lucky to buy beer at 16 now ID or no ID, got to be 18 legally

would that be a paisley ben sherman shirt, I believe I saw a photo of one once.. bit late '60s I'm thinking.. still brutus jeans might be a slight more practical than velvet oxford bags[*] which were also in the photo....

[* for the avoidance of doubt - these are a kind of trouser]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oxford bags. I can think of several meanings for Oxford bags, not all complimentary Yes the Brutus would have been Oxfords but the Sherman had to be checks or it wasn't cool. Levi Stay-press were another must have.

I've added a photo to show the beauty and wonderment of Yorkshire life, hope TG doesn't get fined for an inadvertent use of copyright by one of it's users :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70s.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	123805

ah Malton way Paul - and you'd be handy for Castle Howard and the Howardian Hills as well as the Kirbymoorside [and the moor] to the north

very nice places to walk
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ah Malton way Paul - and you'd be handy for Castle Howard ...
    Indeed. We visited there with our small children. We decided we'd go for a walk around the grounds (outside the actual grounds) then go inside, so we parked a little distance away and set off around Howard but outside the official grounds. Then we got to the front part of Castle Howard and were rather naughty - we could just walk up a small bank, over a tiny fence and straight into the grounds. That's what we did. We spent our entrance money on an afternoon tea.

Other escapes - doing the tourist thing: catching the steam train then getting off at Goathland and then walking to Grosmont. Walking along old Roman roads, worried about adders under the stones in parts. Flamingoland when it was still relatively undeveloped. York, Scarborough, Whitby - fantastic place for family holidays.

I hope Malton hasn't changed since I was there last.

Don't worry TG community, Yorkshire advertising is now stopped..