Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: EUROPE DOES IT AGAIN!...

If they did it again, what did they do before?

You win the prize for the most backlinks on TG!

and maybe for the most posts from a regular user with 'shouting' thread titles

I'll declare an interest here - I am all for, and active in, getting better protection for copyright

Sure this legislation has a lot of issues... but so does letting anyone copy anything they like, or say anything they like, [or for that matter pay next to no tax relative to income] - with freedom comes resposibility - Google/Facebook etc need to wake up to this

If they had done a whole lot more than they have been willing to do up to now it may have been different; still if this legislation forces them to do more, that will be good
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I do understand that there is a copyright problem, but I don't think it's as much a demon as it's made out to be. We Boomers need to have a better look at how GenX and the Millennials operate instead of passing laws based on our business experiences.

My son got his start by breaking (as of now) article 13 and just today I sent a joke to my sister in the UK that had a picture of a tub of Vanish stain remover on it. WhatsApp just broke the law...and, if I posted it here to show you the example TG could be fined. It strikes me as obvious that some of the laws in this bill were paid for by old business wanting to keep things in the past because they don't understand modern methods. It's more a distribution problem than a copyright problem.

Yes there's a problem. No I don't have an answer, but clearly neither do the law makers in Europe. Let's hope it goes the same route as the stupid law that passed here in Australia a few months ago. I can't remember what it was now, and neither can anyone else.

I’ve not watched the whole thing, but as an inhabitant of Europe I personally feel compelled to raise my hand. Opening with "Congratulations Europe, you've ruined the internet" combined with faux clapping and a forced grin says enough. (Who does he think owns the internet?). If this is all about harming freedom of expression, I can't really see that happening. Btw I believe the two articles referred to in the clip, have been renumbered to Article 15 and Article 17.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Isn't this at heart a matter of perspective? Those who hold copyrights are happy that these will be better protected again and those who have been using copyrighted materials for years now feel slighted?

the regulators are arming themselves with a big stick... this does not mean that it will be used on each and every occasion - just how practical would that be ?

whilst not directly concerned with copyright, here is Mark Zuckerberg [hopefully] starting to face up to responsibility:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47762091

the real issue is getting the internet to do this, and so the more leverage there is the more sectors of the internet are at last getting the message

yes - if something changes there will always be both sides to the argument... but intransigence breeds enforcement - [and putting everything into an us-and-them senario rarely helps anyone]
    Nothing lasts forever...

To my mind copyright isn't really the issue, it's the business model that big business is trying to control. Back as a young man there was a thing called a cassette player that was going to ruin the whole music industry because the public could record the radio. Then VHS that was going to ruin Hollywood and no more movies would be made. Then Napster which...yeah, that was stealing...but it changed the way music hit our ears. An artist no longer needed to send 80 - 90% of sales to the recording label thanks to the Napster model being monetised.

Movies used to take months to reach DVD in the hopes the public would be forced to the cinema, until they started renting out DVDs. Cable TV is in it's death throes, not wholly because of piracy, but also overpricing and gouging. Netflix is now starting to produce some excellent original content.

Back on home turf...when I was a wannabe DJ I toured around asking for gigs. My ultimate goal was Ibiza My son, treading the same boards, relies heavily on social media and the Internet in general. His ultimate goal? Literally anywhere in the World. The playing fields have changed and always will do. Article 13/15/pick-a-number is badly written. They spin it as 'fight against copyright theft' but it's more than likely a fight for control of business strategy.

Using my son as an example. He posts a session online and self promotes to festival organisers with up and coming events looking for fill in sets between headliners. Now, with Article pick-a-number, an old school agent can copyright strike him unless he signs up for 80% of his earnings. And we're back to the 80's where parasitic middlemen make a mint and the artist goes hungry.

The gaming industry changed the way they did business and piracy is now low in that industry. The music and movie industry needs to rethink it's marketing rather than try to hold back progress. If the industry spent as much time, effort and money in moving forward rather than trying to hold on they would probably be far better off than they are. Back in 2006 MC Lars released Download This Song that covers the exact same thing we're discussing here 13 years later.

Now, with Article pick-a-number, an old school agent can copyright strike him unless he signs up for 80% of his earnings
    care to explain this to me in more detail?

I think you are over re-acting

Fair-usage is still going to be possible

What is intended is that those who use others copyright parasitically are going to be at risk
    [I leave you to judge whether that covers MEME ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is all just possibilities, but the way the law is written it IS a possibility.

A DJ, complete with legal music, performs a set. That set is then sent/hosted/whatever means to event organisers in the hope they'll catch a gig. In the old days this involved a lot of leg work and by nature was restricted to how far you could travel unless you hired an agent and signed contracts. Now, with this law, there's nothing stopping an agent claiming a copyright infringement and stopping the DJ from posting his set. The platform being used would strike the set in fear of being fined without finding out whether a copyright infringement has actually occurred. It's happening right now on YouTube. The agent could then approach said DJ and offer to do the work for him without being hit by article pick-a-number., Roll back time to my day.

It personally won't affect my son as he hosts his work privately and just sends links. If an infringement notice lands on my desk I can simply ignore it, but that's not the point. The law has massive holes that can most certainly hold back the small up and comers.